Arizona has become ground zero for the immigration debate and for that reason the League of United Latin American Citizens picked the state’s capitol to announce a massive, multi-tiered nationwide campaign that will “ensure the support from Congressional leadership for comprehensive immigration reform.”
“The reason why we are here in Arizona is because this is where it all started and this is where we are going to start the beginning of the end of getting comprehensive immigration reform passed,” said LULAC National Executive Director Brent Wilkes.
The campaign, according to LULAC, is organized into three components that includes LULAC’s network of approximately 115,000 grassroots volunteer members organized into 900 councils, a social media element and a billboard promotion.
“It is a long past time for Congress to reform our nation’s immigration policies,” said Arizona Sen. Steve Gallardo in a statement. “I am encouraged that members of Congress are beginning to discuss this issue and this campaign will help make sure we keep the momentum going toward true immigration reform,” he said.
According to LULAC leaders, the campaign’s goals for immigration reform include, “an effective and practical immigration system that provides a pathway to citizenship; accounts for future flow; and reunites families in a manner that does not regard sexual orientation.”
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon