Arizona charter school kindergartners are being vaccinated at lower rates than those in public schools, a University of Arizona study said.
The vaccination exemption rates have tripled in kindergartners in the past decade and charter schools are leading the way.
“The vaccine exemption rate ranged from zero percent to 68 percent,” said associate professor Elizabeth Jacobs, who co-wrote the study. “The reason that’s cause for concern is because to reach community immunity levels, you want to have coverage of about 95 percent.”
Jacobs said she hopes her study informs parents as to whether or not they should vaccinate their child.
Jacobs said most schools with high exemption rates tend to be white and middle- to upper-class.
Arizona ranks among the top five states in America for the total number of charter schools.
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development