Arizona charter school kindergartners are being vaccinated at lower rates than those in public schools, a University of Arizona study said.
The vaccination exemption rates have tripled in kindergartners in the past decade and charter schools are leading the way.
“The vaccine exemption rate ranged from zero percent to 68 percent,” said associate professor Elizabeth Jacobs, who co-wrote the study. “The reason that’s cause for concern is because to reach community immunity levels, you want to have coverage of about 95 percent.”
Jacobs said she hopes her study informs parents as to whether or not they should vaccinate their child.
Jacobs said most schools with high exemption rates tend to be white and middle- to upper-class.
Arizona ranks among the top five states in America for the total number of charter schools.
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them