Arizona charter school kindergartners are being vaccinated at lower rates than those in public schools, a University of Arizona study said.
The vaccination exemption rates have tripled in kindergartners in the past decade and charter schools are leading the way.
“The vaccine exemption rate ranged from zero percent to 68 percent,” said associate professor Elizabeth Jacobs, who co-wrote the study. “The reason that’s cause for concern is because to reach community immunity levels, you want to have coverage of about 95 percent.”
Jacobs said she hopes her study informs parents as to whether or not they should vaccinate their child.
Jacobs said most schools with high exemption rates tend to be white and middle- to upper-class.
Arizona ranks among the top five states in America for the total number of charter schools.
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck