Small talk at holiday events could take an awkward, uncomfortable turn when it comes to conversations about careers.
For people still on the job hunt, the subject could be a sensitive one.
“I think it’s natural to inquire about what a person does, however, if you know it is a touchy subject with a particular person, I definitely wouldn’t bring it up,” said Jacqueline Whitmore, author of “Business Class: Etiquette Essentials for Success at Work” and “Poised for Success.”
However, if you’re one of the thousands of frustrated Americans still on the job search, every opportunity to mingle with others should be considered a networking opportunity.
“You could potentially meet someone that could help you find a job,” said Whitmore.
Ultimately, no matter your mood, try to stay positive at any type of social gathering, be polite and if asked uncomfortable questions, Whitmore said honesty is always the best policy.
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development