Small talk at holiday events could take an awkward, uncomfortable turn when it comes to conversations about careers.
For people still on the job hunt, the subject could be a sensitive one.
“I think it’s natural to inquire about what a person does, however, if you know it is a touchy subject with a particular person, I definitely wouldn’t bring it up,” said Jacqueline Whitmore, author of “Business Class: Etiquette Essentials for Success at Work” and “Poised for Success.”
However, if you’re one of the thousands of frustrated Americans still on the job search, every opportunity to mingle with others should be considered a networking opportunity.
“You could potentially meet someone that could help you find a job,” said Whitmore.
Ultimately, no matter your mood, try to stay positive at any type of social gathering, be polite and if asked uncomfortable questions, Whitmore said honesty is always the best policy.
- 2016 college football rivalry games you simply can't miss
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl