Small talk at holiday events could take an awkward, uncomfortable turn when it comes to conversations about careers.
For people still on the job hunt, the subject could be a sensitive one.
“I think it’s natural to inquire about what a person does, however, if you know it is a touchy subject with a particular person, I definitely wouldn’t bring it up,” said Jacqueline Whitmore, author of “Business Class: Etiquette Essentials for Success at Work” and “Poised for Success.”
However, if you’re one of the thousands of frustrated Americans still on the job search, every opportunity to mingle with others should be considered a networking opportunity.
“You could potentially meet someone that could help you find a job,” said Whitmore.
Ultimately, no matter your mood, try to stay positive at any type of social gathering, be polite and if asked uncomfortable questions, Whitmore said honesty is always the best policy.
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.