PHOENIX — Phoenix Swim Club, training site to Olympic medalists and home to Brophy Prep’s swim team, will be making way for a housing development.
Demolition of the two pools at 29th Street and Campbell Avenue is set for spring at the conclusion of the school’s swim season, according to Swimming World magazine.
The Jesuit prep school bought the site in 2002.
Edward Reese, president of Brophy College Prep, announced the move in an email:
Dear Brophy Faculty, Staff and Regents,
During this past week Brophy received an offer from an entity to purchase the Brophy Swim Club property at 28th Street and Campbell. Our Trustees have felt confident that it is a good offer and currently the property is in escrow. The buyer has hopes to develop homes that will enhance that neighborhood. As you know there are many hurdles to take before this offer becomes final.
We are beginning our first planning meeting very soon and our hope is that construction on the Brophy swimming pool on this campus will begin sometime this summer. We will continue to use the Campbell facility until the new pool is built so there will be no interruption to our state championship swim team. This is an exciting new adventure for all of us so stay tuned as I will share information with you as more substantive progress has been made.
Edward A. Reese, S.J.
Olympians Gary Hall Jr., Klete Keller and Anthony Ervin trained at the club and several acclaimed coaches have passed through its doors.
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns