The Deer Valley Unified School District may make a big change at one of its schools next year.
The district said it needs a day school that would house between 88 and 105 special needs students.
“Students with disabilities, which are now currently placed in private schools for intensive educational settings of behavior and academics, could all be placed in one central area,” said district spokeswoman Heidi Vega.
To do that, the district is considering turning one of its five elementary schools into a day school. Those five schools that may be altered are Bellair, Desert Winds, Greenbrier, Mountain Shadows and Sunrise elementary schools. All of those schools have enrollments of less than 500 students.
If the district follows through with the plan, students at one of those five schools would be transferred to other schools, and the campus would then be transformed into the day school.
Vega said the district is trying to do all of this while living within its’ means.
“We’re receiving more and more budget cuts from the state,” she said. “Our enrollment continues to decline, unfortunately, and we have to find a way to be fiscally responsible as a district.”
Vega said that three out of every five homes in the Deer Valley Unified School District do not have an elementary school-aged child living there.
The district board will take up the proposal at a meeting on Jan. 8.
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy