The Deer Valley Unified School District may make a big change at one of its schools next year.
The district said it needs a day school that would house between 88 and 105 special needs students.
“Students with disabilities, which are now currently placed in private schools for intensive educational settings of behavior and academics, could all be placed in one central area,” said district spokeswoman Heidi Vega.
To do that, the district is considering turning one of its five elementary schools into a day school. Those five schools that may be altered are Bellair, Desert Winds, Greenbrier, Mountain Shadows and Sunrise elementary schools. All of those schools have enrollments of less than 500 students.
If the district follows through with the plan, students at one of those five schools would be transferred to other schools, and the campus would then be transformed into the day school.
Vega said the district is trying to do all of this while living within its’ means.
“We’re receiving more and more budget cuts from the state,” she said. “Our enrollment continues to decline, unfortunately, and we have to find a way to be fiscally responsible as a district.”
Vega said that three out of every five homes in the Deer Valley Unified School District do not have an elementary school-aged child living there.
The district board will take up the proposal at a meeting on Jan. 8.
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- 2016 college football rivalry games you simply can't miss
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered