A Valley amputee who lost his legs in a sail boat accident almost 46 years ago made it to the top of Pinnacle Peak on Wednesday.
Stephen Renneckar was aided on his climb by several Phoenix and Scottsdale firefighters, but it was his neighbor who encouraged him to make the climb.
“He said, ‘I’ve got some good friends of mine in the fire department and they’ve got one of those rescue chairs. We’ll pop you on there and haul you up. No problem at all,'” said Renneckar. “There was about 10 or 15 of those guys up here.”
Renneckar said he was extremely grateful to the firefighters for helping him make the climb.
“I would not have been able to get up in here in a wheelchair by myself,” he said. “This is not a wheelchair-friendly trail, but with a couple people helping you, you can do it.”
Renneckar lost his legs when his boat came into contact with a 13,000-volt power line and he was electrocuted.
- Workers comp: Signs your co-worker could be a fraud
- Who's the real founder of America's pastime?
- Epidemic rising? What you need to know about Alzheimer's in Arizona
- 5 unforgettable Wooden Award winners
- Family and hard work are keys to success of modern dairy farmers
- Genetic testing could hold answers for colon cancer survival
- Cold beers and baseball: A beer lover's guide to Spring Training
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains