A Valley amputee who lost his legs in a sail boat accident almost 46 years ago made it to the top of Pinnacle Peak on Wednesday.
Stephen Renneckar was aided on his climb by several Phoenix and Scottsdale firefighters, but it was his neighbor who encouraged him to make the climb.
“He said, ‘I’ve got some good friends of mine in the fire department and they’ve got one of those rescue chairs. We’ll pop you on there and haul you up. No problem at all,'” said Renneckar. “There was about 10 or 15 of those guys up here.”
Renneckar said he was extremely grateful to the firefighters for helping him make the climb.
“I would not have been able to get up in here in a wheelchair by myself,” he said. “This is not a wheelchair-friendly trail, but with a couple people helping you, you can do it.”
Renneckar lost his legs when his boat came into contact with a 13,000-volt power line and he was electrocuted.
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon