Phoenix Police cold case investigators announced Wednesday that an arrest was made on Dec. 11 in connection with a 1996 murder.
Ronald Cortez, 49, was living in Chino Valley, Ariz. He is currently in jail in Yavapai County on suspicion of murdering Sarah Maxton.
According to information provided by police, “On January 19, 1996, just after 9 p.m., the victim, Sarah Maxton, was found murdered by the side of the road near 10300 West Lower Buckeye Road. Detectives from the Phoenix Police Department’s Homicide Unit began their investigation however the case eventually went cold.”
Investigators reopened the case, three years ago and forensic evidence led them to Cortez. Although investigators would not say what the evidence was, it was enough for investigators to obtain an indictment against the suspect. Cortez was arrested without incident.
Sarah Maxton, who was 30 at the time of her death, left three small children behind. For at least one of them, the news of the arrest brings a sense of relief and closure.
“Christmas is right around the corner and finally being able to go to sleep at night knowing that he’s in jail,” said the victim’s daughter, Reanna Reed, of the sense of relief the arrest brought.
Cortez was arrested without incident.
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night