Phoenix Police cold case investigators announced Wednesday that an arrest was made on Dec. 11 in connection with a 1996 murder.
Ronald Cortez, 49, was living in Chino Valley, Ariz. He is currently in jail in Yavapai County on suspicion of murdering Sarah Maxton.
According to information provided by police, “On January 19, 1996, just after 9 p.m., the victim, Sarah Maxton, was found murdered by the side of the road near 10300 West Lower Buckeye Road. Detectives from the Phoenix Police Department’s Homicide Unit began their investigation however the case eventually went cold.”
Investigators reopened the case, three years ago and forensic evidence led them to Cortez. Although investigators would not say what the evidence was, it was enough for investigators to obtain an indictment against the suspect. Cortez was arrested without incident.
Sarah Maxton, who was 30 at the time of her death, left three small children behind. For at least one of them, the news of the arrest brings a sense of relief and closure.
“Christmas is right around the corner and finally being able to go to sleep at night knowing that he’s in jail,” said the victim’s daughter, Reanna Reed, of the sense of relief the arrest brought.
Cortez was arrested without incident.
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier