Phoenix Police cold case investigators announced Wednesday that an arrest was made on Dec. 11 in connection with a 1996 murder.
Ronald Cortez, 49, was living in Chino Valley, Ariz. He is currently in jail in Yavapai County on suspicion of murdering Sarah Maxton.
According to information provided by police, “On January 19, 1996, just after 9 p.m., the victim, Sarah Maxton, was found murdered by the side of the road near 10300 West Lower Buckeye Road. Detectives from the Phoenix Police Department’s Homicide Unit began their investigation however the case eventually went cold.”
Investigators reopened the case, three years ago and forensic evidence led them to Cortez. Although investigators would not say what the evidence was, it was enough for investigators to obtain an indictment against the suspect. Cortez was arrested without incident.
Sarah Maxton, who was 30 at the time of her death, left three small children behind. For at least one of them, the news of the arrest brings a sense of relief and closure.
“Christmas is right around the corner and finally being able to go to sleep at night knowing that he’s in jail,” said the victim’s daughter, Reanna Reed, of the sense of relief the arrest brought.
Cortez was arrested without incident.
- Tech-related injuries your parents never experienced
- Workers comp: Signs your co-worker could be a fraud
- Who's the real founder of America's pastime?
- Epidemic rising? What you need to know about Alzheimer's in Arizona
- 5 unforgettable Wooden Award winners
- Family and hard work are keys to success of modern dairy farmers
- Genetic testing could hold answers for colon cancer survival
- Cold beers and baseball: A beer lover's guide to Spring Training
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates