The 2013 Waste Management Open will honor military members, a tournament official said Wednesday.
“For years, we’ve allowed anyone with a military I.D. into our event for free,” said Tournament Director Tom Altieri. “This year, for the first time ever, all past and present military servicemen and women and their families can enjoy hosted food and beverage in a private tent located on the 18th fairway. It’s just our way of saying thank you.”
As usual, the Bird’s Nest will be the place to be during the tournament. Altieri said some big names will hit the stage there.
“On Thursday night, Phoenix native and 10-time Grammy winner with 10 number one hits, country superstar Dirks Bentley will be at the Bird’s Nest,” he said. “On Friday night, it’s a band known as one of the best live bands in the world. We’re welcoming back O.A.R.”
Last year’s tournament winner, Kyle Stanley, said the big rowdy crowds on the 16th hole make the tournament special.
“It’s probably the most nervous I’ve been with a wedge in my hand since I turned pro,” he said. “You have so much adrenaline pumping. I think on the last day I had 165 yards to the hole, and I hit a pitching wedge just because you’re so juiced up. It’s a fun hole. Great energy.”
The tournament runs Jan. 28 to Feb. 3 at TPC of Scottsdale. The fourth and final round will be played the same day as the Super Bowl.
Altieri hopes to top the $222 million that the tournament pumped into the Valley’s economy last year.
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- 2016 college football rivalry games you simply can't miss
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever