PHOENIX — Two daycare service operators have been charged with felony child abuse in the death of a 2-year-old girl who was in their care.
The toddler died Tuesday while under the supervision of Ryan Reed, 27, and Allison Clements, 28, who run a daycare business out of their home near 45th and Sunland avenues.
Phoenix Police Sgt. Trent Crump said Reed admitted to abusing Savannah Cross on numerous occasions, including striking, kicking and roughly grabbing her.
The pair had been watching the girl on a full-time basis since October and said Savannah’s mother showed up occasionally to pay for the daycare.
Clements told investigators she witnessed the abusive incidents but did not try to stop it or seek medical attention.
The cause of death is pending. Additional charges may be filed based on the medical examiner’s report.
Two children belonging to the suspects were taken into the custody of CPS.
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development