PHOENIX — Two daycare service operators have been charged with felony child abuse in the death of a 2-year-old girl who was in their care.
The toddler died Tuesday while under the supervision of Ryan Reed, 27, and Allison Clements, 28, who run a daycare business out of their home near 45th and Sunland avenues.
Phoenix Police Sgt. Trent Crump said Reed admitted to abusing Savannah Cross on numerous occasions, including striking, kicking and roughly grabbing her.
The pair had been watching the girl on a full-time basis since October and said Savannah’s mother showed up occasionally to pay for the daycare.
Clements told investigators she witnessed the abusive incidents but did not try to stop it or seek medical attention.
The cause of death is pending. Additional charges may be filed based on the medical examiner’s report.
Two children belonging to the suspects were taken into the custody of CPS.
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths