PHOENIX — Two daycare service operators have been charged with felony child abuse in the death of a 2-year-old girl who was in their care.
The toddler died Tuesday while under the supervision of Ryan Reed, 27, and Allison Clements, 28, who run a daycare business out of their home near 45th and Sunland avenues.
Phoenix Police Sgt. Trent Crump said Reed admitted to abusing Savannah Cross on numerous occasions, including striking, kicking and roughly grabbing her.
The pair had been watching the girl on a full-time basis since October and said Savannah’s mother showed up occasionally to pay for the daycare.
Clements told investigators she witnessed the abusive incidents but did not try to stop it or seek medical attention.
The cause of death is pending. Additional charges may be filed based on the medical examiner’s report.
Two children belonging to the suspects were taken into the custody of CPS.
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night