Politico is reporting that a group of eight United States senators, including Arizona’s John McCain and Jeff Flake, is discussing immigration reform.
Flake’s office would not confirm the report and McCain’s office did not return calls.
McCain was a key player in the last congressional attempt at serious immigration reform in 2007, but took some criticism for his 2010 Senate campaign ad where he said “complete the danged fence.”
Political expert Mike O’Neil said immigration reform is long overdue and Mitt Romney’s tough stance on illegal immigration backfired during his run for the White House.
“He got killed with the Hispanic vote and think there’s people in the Republican party are looking at that and saying, ‘Unless we do something to make peace with that group, our long-term future looks pretty dim.'”
O’Neil said Arizona is a frontline state on illegal immigration and it makes perfect sense that our senators would be part of the discussion on immigration reform.
- Distracted walking injuries end up not so funny
- Scary situations: 5 quick tips before you let a contractor in your home
- Four ways telemedicine is changing the health care industry
- 5 mistakes homeowners make in the spring
- Three rivers run through it: Exploring Arizona's waterways
- Smart home basics: things you need to know to get started
- 5 Surprising things causing back pain
- Arizona agriculture is a $17.1B industry
- Timeline: Arizona's roots in brewing history
- 5 reasons to love the D-backs this season
- Tips for taking your home entertainment experience to the backyard
- Tech-related injuries your parents never experienced
- Workers comp: Signs your co-worker could be a fraud
- Who's the real founder of America's pastime?
- Epidemic rising? What you need to know about Alzheimer's in Arizona
- 5 unforgettable Wooden Award winners
- Family and hard work are keys to success of modern dairy farmers
- Genetic testing could hold answers for colon cancer survival
- Cold beers and baseball: A beer lover's guide to Spring Training
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past