PHOENIX — The Valley’s homeless count has jumped by 11 percent in the past year and for many, including an increasing number of families, it’s their first time on the street.
The U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development said the Valley has about 6,000 homeless people, which is up by about 650 people from last year.
Irene Augustin, spokeswoman for Central Arizona Shelter Services, said the staff has seen a rise in the number of families who’ve lost jobs and been forced out of homes.
“There’s actually a waiting list for homeless families with our shelter,” said Augustin.
Another trend she’s seeing is more homelessness among 18 to- 25-year-olds. It’s the result of parents who are dealing with hard times financially and can no longer afford to take care of post-high-school-age children living at home.
Augustin said the number of chronically homeless seems to be dropping in Phoenix.
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night