PHOENIX — The Valley’s homeless count has jumped by 11 percent in the past year and for many, including an increasing number of families, it’s their first time on the street.
The U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development said the Valley has about 6,000 homeless people, which is up by about 650 people from last year.
Irene Augustin, spokeswoman for Central Arizona Shelter Services, said the staff has seen a rise in the number of families who’ve lost jobs and been forced out of homes.
“There’s actually a waiting list for homeless families with our shelter,” said Augustin.
Another trend she’s seeing is more homelessness among 18 to- 25-year-olds. It’s the result of parents who are dealing with hard times financially and can no longer afford to take care of post-high-school-age children living at home.
Augustin said the number of chronically homeless seems to be dropping in Phoenix.
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy