A new report from the United Health Foundation and the American Public Health Association and Partner for Prevention ranked Arizona the 25th healthiest state in the U.S.
The ranking is down two spots from last year, but the report showed the state still faces a number of challenges.
Arizona has a high percentage of children in poverty at 24.7 percent. The number ranks the state at 43rd in the country. The report also lists the availability of primary care physicians is limited at about 96 per 100,000 population.
There are several factors involved in the rating.
Arizona has a low obesity rate at about 25 percent of the population with 1.2 million obese adults. The state also has a low rate of cancer deaths — 158 deaths per 100,000. That’s down from 175 from five years ago.
Overall, Vermont topped the list as healthiest state for a fourth straight year. Mississippi and Louisiana are tied for 49th. The two states have been in the bottom three since the 1990 edition of the report.
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development