A new report from the United Health Foundation and the American Public Health Association and Partner for Prevention ranked Arizona the 25th healthiest state in the U.S.
The ranking is down two spots from last year, but the report showed the state still faces a number of challenges.
Arizona has a high percentage of children in poverty at 24.7 percent. The number ranks the state at 43rd in the country. The report also lists the availability of primary care physicians is limited at about 96 per 100,000 population.
There are several factors involved in the rating.
Arizona has a low obesity rate at about 25 percent of the population with 1.2 million obese adults. The state also has a low rate of cancer deaths — 158 deaths per 100,000. That’s down from 175 from five years ago.
Overall, Vermont topped the list as healthiest state for a fourth straight year. Mississippi and Louisiana are tied for 49th. The two states have been in the bottom three since the 1990 edition of the report.
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets