A new report from the United Health Foundation and the American Public Health Association and Partner for Prevention ranked Arizona the 25th healthiest state in the U.S.
The ranking is down two spots from last year, but the report showed the state still faces a number of challenges.
Arizona has a high percentage of children in poverty at 24.7 percent. The number ranks the state at 43rd in the country. The report also lists the availability of primary care physicians is limited at about 96 per 100,000 population.
There are several factors involved in the rating.
Arizona has a low obesity rate at about 25 percent of the population with 1.2 million obese adults. The state also has a low rate of cancer deaths — 158 deaths per 100,000. That’s down from 175 from five years ago.
Overall, Vermont topped the list as healthiest state for a fourth straight year. Mississippi and Louisiana are tied for 49th. The two states have been in the bottom three since the 1990 edition of the report.
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier