A new report from the United Health Foundation and the American Public Health Association and Partner for Prevention ranked Arizona the 25th healthiest state in the U.S.
The ranking is down two spots from last year, but the report showed the state still faces a number of challenges.
Arizona has a high percentage of children in poverty at 24.7 percent. The number ranks the state at 43rd in the country. The report also lists the availability of primary care physicians is limited at about 96 per 100,000 population.
There are several factors involved in the rating.
Arizona has a low obesity rate at about 25 percent of the population with 1.2 million obese adults. The state also has a low rate of cancer deaths — 158 deaths per 100,000. That’s down from 175 from five years ago.
Overall, Vermont topped the list as healthiest state for a fourth straight year. Mississippi and Louisiana are tied for 49th. The two states have been in the bottom three since the 1990 edition of the report.
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- 2016 college football rivalry games you simply can't miss
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona