PHOENIX — Arizona is home to three national parks, including the crown jewel of the system — the Grand Canyon — and all of them could take budget hits if Congress and the president fail to reach a compromise by year’s end.
Kevin Dahl, Arizona program manager with the National Parks Conservation Service, said there’s no question budget cuts will impact Arizona’s economy.
“We know that for every dollar the federal government spends in the parks there’s $10 worth of benefit locally to people working in restaurants and hotels, all the things that people need when they visit the parks.”
Dahl believes many ranger jobs would likely be cut if a budget compromise can’t be reached. Personnel cuts could potentially keep foreign visitors away because they may be concerned how budget issues would affect their experience.
“You can’t go to the South Rim of the Grand Canyon and not hear six to eight foreign languages as people come to see these world-class areas,” Dahl said.
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick