PHOENIX — Arizona is home to three national parks, including the crown jewel of the system — the Grand Canyon — and all of them could take budget hits if Congress and the president fail to reach a compromise by year’s end.
Kevin Dahl, Arizona program manager with the National Parks Conservation Service, said there’s no question budget cuts will impact Arizona’s economy.
“We know that for every dollar the federal government spends in the parks there’s $10 worth of benefit locally to people working in restaurants and hotels, all the things that people need when they visit the parks.”
Dahl believes many ranger jobs would likely be cut if a budget compromise can’t be reached. Personnel cuts could potentially keep foreign visitors away because they may be concerned how budget issues would affect their experience.
“You can’t go to the South Rim of the Grand Canyon and not hear six to eight foreign languages as people come to see these world-class areas,” Dahl said.
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas