PHOENIX — Arizona is home to three national parks, including the crown jewel of the system — the Grand Canyon — and all of them could take budget hits if Congress and the president fail to reach a compromise by year’s end.
Kevin Dahl, Arizona program manager with the National Parks Conservation Service, said there’s no question budget cuts will impact Arizona’s economy.
“We know that for every dollar the federal government spends in the parks there’s $10 worth of benefit locally to people working in restaurants and hotels, all the things that people need when they visit the parks.”
Dahl believes many ranger jobs would likely be cut if a budget compromise can’t be reached. Personnel cuts could potentially keep foreign visitors away because they may be concerned how budget issues would affect their experience.
“You can’t go to the South Rim of the Grand Canyon and not hear six to eight foreign languages as people come to see these world-class areas,” Dahl said.
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development