Arizona Sec. of State Ken Bennett said he never spoke of “blocking” a possible attempt by Arizona Gov. Jan Brewer to run for a third term.
“I never used the word ‘block’ for her,” he told News/Talk 92.3 KTAR’s Mac & Gaydos. “We are not sitting around thinking in anyway about how we might strategize to block the governor.”
Bennett said his office is simply focusing on the law and what it says about a governor running for a third term in Arizona.
“I read the [Arizona] Constitution, which says no member of the executive department shall hold that office for more than two consecutive terms,” he said, adding that a partial term counts as a full term and that a former governor must wait one full term before seeking reelection.
Bennett said he has not spoken with Brewer personally, but has informed her counsel that he does not see her possible reelection bid as legal.
Brewer has several options in front of her and Bennett said he is unsure of how she will proceed.
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- ‘Supernatural’ TV show convention comes to Arizona
- Jan Brewer thinks Paul Penzone will have tough time beating Sheriff Joe Arpaio
- Mac & Gaydos joined by Burmese python after losing March Madness bet
- Mac and Gaydos deliver pizzas to winning class in REDucation contest
- Civil rights activist wants Phoenix-area NAACP boss to step down after incident