Arizona Sec. of State Ken Bennett said he never spoke of “blocking” a possible attempt by Arizona Gov. Jan Brewer to run for a third term.
“I never used the word ‘block’ for her,” he told News/Talk 92.3 KTAR’s Mac & Gaydos. “We are not sitting around thinking in anyway about how we might strategize to block the governor.”
Bennett said his office is simply focusing on the law and what it says about a governor running for a third term in Arizona.
“I read the [Arizona] Constitution, which says no member of the executive department shall hold that office for more than two consecutive terms,” he said, adding that a partial term counts as a full term and that a former governor must wait one full term before seeking reelection.
Bennett said he has not spoken with Brewer personally, but has informed her counsel that he does not see her possible reelection bid as legal.
Brewer has several options in front of her and Bennett said he is unsure of how she will proceed.
- Skin Cancer in Arizona: Stats, facts and new immunotherapy drugs making strides
- Caring Crisis: Rising tide In Alzheimer’s disease leads to shortage of caregivers
- Distracted walking injuries end up not so funny
- Scary situations: 5 quick tips before you let a contractor in your home
- Four ways telemedicine is changing the health care industry
- 5 mistakes homeowners make in the spring
- Three rivers run through it: Exploring Arizona's waterways
- Smart home basics: things you need to know to get started
- 5 Surprising things causing back pain
- Arizona agriculture is a $17.1B industry
- Timeline: Arizona's roots in brewing history
- 5 reasons to love the D-backs this season
- Tips for taking your home entertainment experience to the backyard
- Tech-related injuries your parents never experienced
- Workers comp: Signs your co-worker could be a fraud
- Who's the real founder of America's pastime?
- Epidemic rising? What you need to know about Alzheimer's in Arizona
- 5 unforgettable Wooden Award winners
- Family and hard work are keys to success of modern dairy farmers
- Genetic testing could hold answers for colon cancer survival
- Cold beers and baseball: A beer lover's guide to Spring Training
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Four months into office, Paul Penzone works to shake predecessor’s legacy
- Arizona Rep. Kyrsten Sinema: ‘It’s my job’ to attend Trump inauguration
- Arizona. Gov. Doug Ducey to push for teacher raises in upcoming months
- Gov. Doug Ducey: I approve of border wall ‘as long as it benefits Arizona’
- ‘Supernatural’ TV show convention comes to Arizona