Arizona Sec. of State Ken Bennett said he never spoke of “blocking” a possible attempt by Arizona Gov. Jan Brewer to run for a third term.
“I never used the word ‘block’ for her,” he told News/Talk 92.3 KTAR’s Mac & Gaydos. “We are not sitting around thinking in anyway about how we might strategize to block the governor.”
Bennett said his office is simply focusing on the law and what it says about a governor running for a third term in Arizona.
“I read the [Arizona] Constitution, which says no member of the executive department shall hold that office for more than two consecutive terms,” he said, adding that a partial term counts as a full term and that a former governor must wait one full term before seeking reelection.
Bennett said he has not spoken with Brewer personally, but has informed her counsel that he does not see her possible reelection bid as legal.
Brewer has several options in front of her and Bennett said he is unsure of how she will proceed.
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- 2016 college football rivalry games you simply can't miss
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- Arizona Rep. Kyrsten Sinema: ‘It’s my job’ to attend Trump inauguration
- Arizona. Gov. Doug Ducey to push for teacher raises in upcoming months
- Gov. Doug Ducey: I approve of border wall ‘as long as it benefits Arizona’
- ‘Supernatural’ TV show convention comes to Arizona
- Jan Brewer thinks Paul Penzone will have tough time beating Sheriff Joe Arpaio