Arizona Sec. of State Ken Bennett said he never spoke of “blocking” a possible attempt by Arizona Gov. Jan Brewer to run for a third term.
“I never used the word ‘block’ for her,” he told News/Talk 92.3 KTAR’s Mac & Gaydos. “We are not sitting around thinking in anyway about how we might strategize to block the governor.”
Bennett said his office is simply focusing on the law and what it says about a governor running for a third term in Arizona.
“I read the [Arizona] Constitution, which says no member of the executive department shall hold that office for more than two consecutive terms,” he said, adding that a partial term counts as a full term and that a former governor must wait one full term before seeking reelection.
Bennett said he has not spoken with Brewer personally, but has informed her counsel that he does not see her possible reelection bid as legal.
Brewer has several options in front of her and Bennett said he is unsure of how she will proceed.
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- 2016 college football rivalry games you simply can't miss
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- ‘Supernatural’ TV show convention comes to Arizona
- Jan Brewer thinks Paul Penzone will have tough time beating Sheriff Joe Arpaio
- Mac & Gaydos joined by Burmese python after losing March Madness bet
- Mac and Gaydos deliver pizzas to winning class in REDucation contest
- Civil rights activist wants Phoenix-area NAACP boss to step down after incident