John Shepard loves his old school version of Santa’s workshop.
“It smells good, it feels good.”
“It” is wood, specifically pine. That’s what Shepard uses inside his Gilbert workshop to create rocking horses, giraffes, bears and more. His toys don’t talk and you can’t press a button to make a noise, but it’s the simplicity that makes them so special.
“That gives you time for your imagination to make bells and whistles and do things, doesn’t it?” he said. “The kids actually really enjoy that. They enjoy the stimulation of their imagination.”
Shepard’s love for woodworking began as a child. While many fathers and sons play ball together, Shepard and his dad make rocking horses.
“There’s a comfort in a wooden toy that you don’t in a plastic toy.”
Shepard makes rocking horses, tables and chairs, and push and pull toys starting at $15.
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development