John Shepard loves his old school version of Santa’s workshop.
“It smells good, it feels good.”
“It” is wood, specifically pine. That’s what Shepard uses inside his Gilbert workshop to create rocking horses, giraffes, bears and more. His toys don’t talk and you can’t press a button to make a noise, but it’s the simplicity that makes them so special.
“That gives you time for your imagination to make bells and whistles and do things, doesn’t it?” he said. “The kids actually really enjoy that. They enjoy the stimulation of their imagination.”
Shepard’s love for woodworking began as a child. While many fathers and sons play ball together, Shepard and his dad make rocking horses.
“There’s a comfort in a wooden toy that you don’t in a plastic toy.”
Shepard makes rocking horses, tables and chairs, and push and pull toys starting at $15.
- Workers comp: Signs your co-worker could be a fraud
- Who's the real founder of America's pastime?
- Epidemic rising? What you need to know about Alzheimer's in Arizona
- 5 unforgettable Wooden Award winners
- Family and hard work are keys to success of modern dairy farmers
- Genetic testing could hold answers for colon cancer survival
- Cold beers and baseball: A beer lover's guide to Spring Training
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains