John Shepard loves his old school version of Santa’s workshop.
“It smells good, it feels good.”
“It” is wood, specifically pine. That’s what Shepard uses inside his Gilbert workshop to create rocking horses, giraffes, bears and more. His toys don’t talk and you can’t press a button to make a noise, but it’s the simplicity that makes them so special.
“That gives you time for your imagination to make bells and whistles and do things, doesn’t it?” he said. “The kids actually really enjoy that. They enjoy the stimulation of their imagination.”
Shepard’s love for woodworking began as a child. While many fathers and sons play ball together, Shepard and his dad make rocking horses.
“There’s a comfort in a wooden toy that you don’t in a plastic toy.”
Shepard makes rocking horses, tables and chairs, and push and pull toys starting at $15.
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.