As the holiday approach, most of us are eying a fancy new toy for the little ones in our lives, but a Valley program is urging adults to keep education in mind when they’re out doing their holiday shopping.
Arizona’s First Things First program works “to give more kids access to education and health programs that help them arrive at school prepared to succeed.” They said that simple toys are inexpensive and often, the best, for promoting learning.
“Brain research tells us that young children learn most from experimenting with the world around them and by interacting with adults,” according to a statement from Rhian Evans Allvin, Chief Executive Officer of FTF.
FTF’s spokesperson Liz Barke Alvarez stressed the importance of at least including books under the Christmas tree this year.
“Reading is the best way to give children the vocabulary they’re going to need in order to be successful at school and to be good readers,” she said.
The recommended amount of reading with your child is about 15 to 30 minutes every day.
“Research has shown a child’s vocabulary — at three and four — is tied to their reading comprehension levels in third grade, so when we’re reading with our children, when we are teaching them, not just vocabulary, but to enjoy books and stories, we are actually helping them to be successful in school years before they get there,” said Barker-Alvarez.
Using a variety of sources, FTF compiled a list for parents with good gift ideas for children aged birth to five. According to information provided by the organization, the list is comprised of “items that help children develop critical skills and encourage families to play together, a crucial combination for success in kindergarten and beyond.
4. Art supplies
5. Dress-up clothes
6. Board games
9. Musical toys or instruments
10. Duplos or similar building toys
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon