With flu season beginning earlier in Arizona and the nation this year and expected to be worse than usual, health experts continue to urge individuals to get vaccinated.
“Getting vaccinated against flu is a key step you can take to prevent having the flu yourself, as well as spreading it to others,” said Lynn Carosella, RN, an infection control nurse at Scottsdale Healthcare.
Carosella urged vaccination annually because the flu vaccine is reformulated each year to address the strains of flu virus being seen across the nation.
There are two types of flu vaccines: The actual “flu shot” vaccine that contains killed flu virus and a nasal-spray flu vaccine, which contains a live, weakened flu virus.
“Neither will cause you to catch the flu. Flu vaccine also will not prevent disease from other viruses,” said Carosella.
The shot is approved for individuals aged six months and up. The nasal vaccine is approved for people ages 2 to 49 who are not pregnant. If you have had a bad reaction to flu vaccine in the past, ask your doctor before being vaccinated.
While flu vaccination is the best way to prevent the flu, Carosella noted that other ways to increase your chances of remaining flu-free include:
• Wash your hands after covering a cough, sneeze and blowing your nose.
• Cough or sneeze into a tissue, or cough into your sleeve. Flu viruses are primarily spread through droplets that are coughed or sneezed from an infected person.
• Avoid close contact with those who are sick. If you are sick, avoid contact with others.
• Try not to touch your nose, eyes or mouth.
• Keep your immune system strong by eating a healthy diet, getting plenty of sleep and exercise, staying hydrated and managing stress.
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas