It’s happened to a lot of us when we travel: After traveling for hours to get to a relative’s home for the holidays, you can’t sleep.
“One reason we struggle to sleep in unfamiliar surroundings is because of environmental differences,” said Lauri Leadly with Valley Sleep Center. “Think about the sleep environment you have at home and plan to account for any differences at your new location.”
Leadly suggested that you plan ahead for environmental differences. As an example, if you’re used to falling asleep to white noise or with a lavender-scented pillow, bring it along for the trip.
Jet lag is especially difficult to overcome for some people, but there are ways to mitigate the effects. You can do that by catching a little shut-eye during your travels and planning for rest upon your arrival. Using a sleep mask is helpful.
If your internal clock is off, because of time differences or exhaustion, try basking in the sun.
“Good ‘ole sunshine is good if you’re struggling to adjust to your new location,” said Leadly, adding that sunlight triggers certain hormones in your body signaling that you should be awake.
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy