It’s happened to a lot of us when we travel: After traveling for hours to get to a relative’s home for the holidays, you can’t sleep.
“One reason we struggle to sleep in unfamiliar surroundings is because of environmental differences,” said Lauri Leadly with Valley Sleep Center. “Think about the sleep environment you have at home and plan to account for any differences at your new location.”
Leadly suggested that you plan ahead for environmental differences. As an example, if you’re used to falling asleep to white noise or with a lavender-scented pillow, bring it along for the trip.
Jet lag is especially difficult to overcome for some people, but there are ways to mitigate the effects. You can do that by catching a little shut-eye during your travels and planning for rest upon your arrival. Using a sleep mask is helpful.
If your internal clock is off, because of time differences or exhaustion, try basking in the sun.
“Good ‘ole sunshine is good if you’re struggling to adjust to your new location,” said Leadly, adding that sunlight triggers certain hormones in your body signaling that you should be awake.
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development