It’s happened to a lot of us when we travel: After traveling for hours to get to a relative’s home for the holidays, you can’t sleep.
“One reason we struggle to sleep in unfamiliar surroundings is because of environmental differences,” said Lauri Leadly with Valley Sleep Center. “Think about the sleep environment you have at home and plan to account for any differences at your new location.”
Leadly suggested that you plan ahead for environmental differences. As an example, if you’re used to falling asleep to white noise or with a lavender-scented pillow, bring it along for the trip.
Jet lag is especially difficult to overcome for some people, but there are ways to mitigate the effects. You can do that by catching a little shut-eye during your travels and planning for rest upon your arrival. Using a sleep mask is helpful.
If your internal clock is off, because of time differences or exhaustion, try basking in the sun.
“Good ‘ole sunshine is good if you’re struggling to adjust to your new location,” said Leadly, adding that sunlight triggers certain hormones in your body signaling that you should be awake.
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night