Lice is no longer keeping kids out of some schools.
New guidelines from the American Academy of Pediatrics suggest active lice requires treatment, but if your child just has the nits or eggs on their scalp. they’re probably safe to go to school.
Surprise pediatrician Dr. John Sarmiento agrees with the guidelines.
“Having the white dots on the hair does not necessarily mean they have an active lice infection,” he said. “We don’t routinely recommend for these schools to have the [no nit] policies that they’ve had for decades.”
Sarmiento said one treatment is often enough to kill the lice and prevent it from being spread through direct contact.
“A lot of these kids do miss school, and unnecessarily because of it,” he said.
Lice can be passed through scarves and hats, which are more common during winter months.
If you’re still scratching your head about whether your kid can go to school, simply check with the school about their lice policy.
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America