Lice is no longer keeping kids out of some schools.
New guidelines from the American Academy of Pediatrics suggest active lice requires treatment, but if your child just has the nits or eggs on their scalp. they’re probably safe to go to school.
Surprise pediatrician Dr. John Sarmiento agrees with the guidelines.
“Having the white dots on the hair does not necessarily mean they have an active lice infection,” he said. “We don’t routinely recommend for these schools to have the [no nit] policies that they’ve had for decades.”
Sarmiento said one treatment is often enough to kill the lice and prevent it from being spread through direct contact.
“A lot of these kids do miss school, and unnecessarily because of it,” he said.
Lice can be passed through scarves and hats, which are more common during winter months.
If you’re still scratching your head about whether your kid can go to school, simply check with the school about their lice policy.
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- 2016 college football rivalry games you simply can't miss
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees