Over 4,000 rounds of ammunition were recovered from an abandoned vehicle on Saturday, the Pinal County Sheriff’s Office said in a release.
Deputies first located the vehicle leaving the town of Stanfield on Highway 84. A deputy checked the vehicle’s registration and found that it was reported stolen to the Phoenix Police Department on Dec. 7.
The deputy initiated a traffic stop and the vehicle immediately left the road and entered the desert, where it continued for about one mile. The vehicle was found abandoned a short time later, along with its cargo of 4,550 rounds of .38 caliber Super+P handgun ammunition.
Pinal County Sheriff Paul Babeu said the type of ammunition recovered is very popular in Mexico. It is believed the ammunition was going to be used for unlawful or smuggling-related purposes.
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development