The City of Scottsdale will add cameras to eight intersections to catch red-light runners.
The contract with American Traffic Solutions, Inc. also calls for new portable units and additional electronic feedback boards alerting drivers to the cameras.
Scottsdale will pay ATS $1.2 million the first year. According to a city report, ticket revenue essentially covers the program costs.
Police officer David Pubins said, “Ultimately, the goal is to keep people safe and to have people change their behavior and slow down.”
It could take up to 18 months to install the cameras. A 30-day public education period should kick in before citations are issued.
Shawn Dow with Campaign for Liberty, a national group that is fighting photo red light and speed cameras, plans to fight it.
“We’ve had it banned in over 70 cities and 15 states and we’re doing well in Arizona. They’re gone in Tempe, Peoria and Glendale,” he said.
But the cameras are snapping speeders and red-light runners in Paradise Valley, Phoenix and Scottsdale and he says they’re going all out in the Arizona Legislative session starting next month to get the cameras pulled down everywhere in the state.
“We had this pass in the House and fail in the Senate or the other way around for the past four years.”
The new locations are:
• Scottsdale and McDowell roads, southbound
•Hayden and Thomas roads, eastbound
• Greenway-Hayden Loop and Frank Lloyd Wright Boulevard, eastbound
• Loop 101 and Frank Lloyd Wright Boulevard, eastbound
• 64th or 68th Streets and Thomas Road, eastbound
• Thompson Peak Parkway and Bell Road, southbound
KTAR’s Jim Cross contributed to this article.
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.