The City of Scottsdale will add cameras to eight intersections to catch red-light runners.
The contract with American Traffic Solutions, Inc. also calls for new portable units and additional electronic feedback boards alerting drivers to the cameras.
Scottsdale will pay ATS $1.2 million the first year. According to a city report, ticket revenue essentially covers the program costs.
Police officer David Pubins said, “Ultimately, the goal is to keep people safe and to have people change their behavior and slow down.”
It could take up to 18 months to install the cameras. A 30-day public education period should kick in before citations are issued.
Shawn Dow with Campaign for Liberty, a national group that is fighting photo red light and speed cameras, plans to fight it.
“We’ve had it banned in over 70 cities and 15 states and we’re doing well in Arizona. They’re gone in Tempe, Peoria and Glendale,” he said.
But the cameras are snapping speeders and red-light runners in Paradise Valley, Phoenix and Scottsdale and he says they’re going all out in the Arizona Legislative session starting next month to get the cameras pulled down everywhere in the state.
“We had this pass in the House and fail in the Senate or the other way around for the past four years.”
The new locations are:
• Scottsdale and McDowell roads, southbound
•Hayden and Thomas roads, eastbound
• Greenway-Hayden Loop and Frank Lloyd Wright Boulevard, eastbound
• Loop 101 and Frank Lloyd Wright Boulevard, eastbound
• 64th or 68th Streets and Thomas Road, eastbound
• Thompson Peak Parkway and Bell Road, southbound
KTAR’s Jim Cross contributed to this article.
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development