PHOENIX — Temperatures are expected to cool off in the Valley this week, and that could leave a lot of people feeling under the weather.
The colder weather can bring on the allergies.
“You have a lot of stuff spreading around this time of year, and when it does get colder, it makes people more susceptible,” said Dr. David Mendelson, an ears, nose throat specialist at Tempe St. Luke’s Hospital.
He said whatever is in bloom is more likely to be the cause of the problems instead of colder weather.
“Every year what I do see is that whenever people pull out their Christmas tree, they have more allergies,” said Mendelson. “They don’t realize that they are actually reacting to whatever is on the artificial tree or their live tree.”
He said people with live trees may be allergic to pine.
Mendelson said washing hands thoroughly or maybe even wearing a breathing mask can help to avoid allergy problems.
- Workers comp: Signs your co-worker could be a fraud
- Who's the real founder of America's pastime?
- Epidemic rising? What you need to know about Alzheimer's in Arizona
- 5 unforgettable Wooden Award winners
- Family and hard work are keys to success of modern dairy farmers
- Genetic testing could hold answers for colon cancer survival
- Cold beers and baseball: A beer lover's guide to Spring Training
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains