To gift or not to gift to the boss is a tricky question around the holiday.
First, giving your boss a gift is a personal choice and you should never feel obligated to spend your money on him or her. Not buying a gift should not affect your career.
However, if you have decided to spend a little extra on the person who signs your pay check, there are some things to keep in mind.
“There are ways of giving your boss a gift where it doesn’t seem like you are trying to win favor and there are things I do suggest,” said international etiquette expert and author of Poised for Success, Jacqueline Whitmore.
Her first bit of advice is to always opt to participate in an office pool to get your boss something a little nicer.
If you work in a small office and you have a good working relationship, attempt to purchase something his/her entire family can enjoy.
“Let’s face it, bosses usually have everything, they don’t need another coffee mug or pen or picture frame for their desk,” said Whitmore. “If they don’t have children, maybe they have a dog or cat. That goes over very well.”
Reality is, for many of us, money is tight. What then?
“You can make something, maybe an ornament. If you bake, try some brownies,” said Whitmore, adding that a holiday card with a nice note inside is also a good option.
No matter the price tag, put some thought into whatever you give.
“Just tailor it to the person. The gift that is thoughtful and personalized will go a long way,” said Whitmore.
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy