To gift or not to gift to the boss is a tricky question around the holiday.
First, giving your boss a gift is a personal choice and you should never feel obligated to spend your money on him or her. Not buying a gift should not affect your career.
However, if you have decided to spend a little extra on the person who signs your pay check, there are some things to keep in mind.
“There are ways of giving your boss a gift where it doesn’t seem like you are trying to win favor and there are things I do suggest,” said international etiquette expert and author of Poised for Success, Jacqueline Whitmore.
Her first bit of advice is to always opt to participate in an office pool to get your boss something a little nicer.
If you work in a small office and you have a good working relationship, attempt to purchase something his/her entire family can enjoy.
“Let’s face it, bosses usually have everything, they don’t need another coffee mug or pen or picture frame for their desk,” said Whitmore. “If they don’t have children, maybe they have a dog or cat. That goes over very well.”
Reality is, for many of us, money is tight. What then?
“You can make something, maybe an ornament. If you bake, try some brownies,” said Whitmore, adding that a holiday card with a nice note inside is also a good option.
No matter the price tag, put some thought into whatever you give.
“Just tailor it to the person. The gift that is thoughtful and personalized will go a long way,” said Whitmore.
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night