Hundreds of people attended a Pearl Harbor memorial and groundbreaking ceremony on Friday in Phoenix.
The hour-long ceremony — designed to both mark the day the Empire of Japan attacked the U.S. fleet in 1941 and the construction of a new monument — was attended by several survivors, people Arizona Congressman Paul Gosar should never be forgotten.
“You exemplify a sense of camaraderie and bravery that was greater than the world has ever known,” he told the veterans. “The fallen shipmates will forever be remembered for their uncommon courage that defined us when we needed it most: December 7.”
One of those survivors, Lambert Mars, was working as a Navy pharmacist when the attack occurred.
“I thought it was our people practicing, but it was the Japanese,” he said.
Mars said he spent hours after the attacks identifying bodies and still gets choked up when he visits Pearl Harbor, the place where his best friend was killed.
The groundbreaking of the new monument, scheduled to open Dec. 7, 2013, was presided over by Sec. of State Ken Bennett.
“This new monument will become and has been approved…as the new World War II memorial for the state of Arizona,” he said.
The monument will feature gun barrels from the U.S.S. Missouri and the U.S.S. Arizona.
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier