US Airways reportedly made a merger offer to American Airlines on Friday.
According to the Phoenix Business Journal, the Tempe-based carrier made the offer after management cut deals with American’s unions.
American Airlines Pilots’ Association President Keith Wilson said the merger would benefit the airline, which is coming out of bankruptcy.
“It’s been proven by Delta and the United corporations and we believe American needs to go stronger and larger faster than it can alone and we think the merger is the best path to make that happen,” he said.
Wilson said his union did not hold meetings with US Airways, but hopes to do so in the near future.
The combined carrier would be based in Fort Worth, Texas and fly under the American banner.
Should the merger go through, the resulting airline would likely be the largest in the world.
KTAR’s Paul Ihander contributed to this report.
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- 2016 college football rivalry games you simply can't miss
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof