US Airways reportedly made a merger offer to American Airlines on Friday.
According to the Phoenix Business Journal, the Tempe-based carrier made the offer after management cut deals with American’s unions.
American Airlines Pilots’ Association President Keith Wilson said the merger would benefit the airline, which is coming out of bankruptcy.
“It’s been proven by Delta and the United corporations and we believe American needs to go stronger and larger faster than it can alone and we think the merger is the best path to make that happen,” he said.
Wilson said his union did not hold meetings with US Airways, but hopes to do so in the near future.
The combined carrier would be based in Fort Worth, Texas and fly under the American banner.
Should the merger go through, the resulting airline would likely be the largest in the world.
KTAR’s Paul Ihander contributed to this report.
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier