The search of Tempe Town Lake in hopes of finding a missing Arizona State University student was called off on Thursday, police said.
The area around the lake was being searched because a shoe, possibly belonging to missing 19-year-old Jack Culolias, was found by his mother.
Police searched both sides of the lake and riverside from the McClintock Rd. bridge to Dobson Rd., but did not turn up anything.
DNA found on the shoe is still being tested and police are still interviewing people.
Earlier this week, Culolias’ mother, Grace Culolias of Brea, Calif., criticized law enforcement, saying that it took far too long for authorities to begin the search for her son.
“Too much time had gone by,” she said. “There was a lack of support of real people out searching for him. The shoe could have been found as early as Saturday.”
ASU officials said they began to search for the boy after he was reported missing on Dec. 2. They turned the case over to the Tempe Police Department on Dec. 4.
It is believed that Jack Culolias was drinking prior to his time at Cadillac Ranch and evidence shows he may have been served at least one drink at the bar.
“He had his credit card there and it had and $8 tab on it,” said Grace Culolias. “I’m sure it was for only one cocktail.”
Information released by police suggests the student was intoxicated and was kicked out of the establishment. From that point, no one has seen or heard from him.
“There’s no evidence of foul play, he’s just gone,” said Grace Culolias. “I really, really don’t know. It’s so hard.”
ASU said any allegations of misconduct by the fraternity would be investigated by its Office of Student Rights and Responsibilities. Tempe Police said it will look into any allegations as well.
Tempe Police said it has contacted the Federal Bureau of Investigation, but it has not been determined if the federal agency will work the case.
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.