The search of Tempe Town Lake in hopes of finding a missing Arizona State University student was called off on Thursday, police said.
The area around the lake was being searched because a shoe, possibly belonging to missing 19-year-old Jack Culolias, was found by his mother.
Police searched both sides of the lake and riverside from the McClintock Rd. bridge to Dobson Rd., but did not turn up anything.
DNA found on the shoe is still being tested and police are still interviewing people.
Earlier this week, Culolias’ mother, Grace Culolias of Brea, Calif., criticized law enforcement, saying that it took far too long for authorities to begin the search for her son.
“Too much time had gone by,” she said. “There was a lack of support of real people out searching for him. The shoe could have been found as early as Saturday.”
ASU officials said they began to search for the boy after he was reported missing on Dec. 2. They turned the case over to the Tempe Police Department on Dec. 4.
It is believed that Jack Culolias was drinking prior to his time at Cadillac Ranch and evidence shows he may have been served at least one drink at the bar.
“He had his credit card there and it had and $8 tab on it,” said Grace Culolias. “I’m sure it was for only one cocktail.”
Information released by police suggests the student was intoxicated and was kicked out of the establishment. From that point, no one has seen or heard from him.
“There’s no evidence of foul play, he’s just gone,” said Grace Culolias. “I really, really don’t know. It’s so hard.”
ASU said any allegations of misconduct by the fraternity would be investigated by its Office of Student Rights and Responsibilities. Tempe Police said it will look into any allegations as well.
Tempe Police said it has contacted the Federal Bureau of Investigation, but it has not been determined if the federal agency will work the case.
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon