The search of Tempe Town Lake in hopes of finding a missing Arizona State University student was called off on Thursday, police said.
The area around the lake was being searched because a shoe, possibly belonging to missing 19-year-old Jack Culolias, was found by his mother.
Police searched both sides of the lake and riverside from the McClintock Rd. bridge to Dobson Rd., but did not turn up anything.
DNA found on the shoe is still being tested and police are still interviewing people.
Earlier this week, Culolias’ mother, Grace Culolias of Brea, Calif., criticized law enforcement, saying that it took far too long for authorities to begin the search for her son.
“Too much time had gone by,” she said. “There was a lack of support of real people out searching for him. The shoe could have been found as early as Saturday.”
ASU officials said they began to search for the boy after he was reported missing on Dec. 2. They turned the case over to the Tempe Police Department on Dec. 4.
It is believed that Jack Culolias was drinking prior to his time at Cadillac Ranch and evidence shows he may have been served at least one drink at the bar.
“He had his credit card there and it had and $8 tab on it,” said Grace Culolias. “I’m sure it was for only one cocktail.”
Information released by police suggests the student was intoxicated and was kicked out of the establishment. From that point, no one has seen or heard from him.
“There’s no evidence of foul play, he’s just gone,” said Grace Culolias. “I really, really don’t know. It’s so hard.”
ASU said any allegations of misconduct by the fraternity would be investigated by its Office of Student Rights and Responsibilities. Tempe Police said it will look into any allegations as well.
Tempe Police said it has contacted the Federal Bureau of Investigation, but it has not been determined if the federal agency will work the case.
- 2016 college football rivalry games you simply can't miss
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl