Last year’s flu season was mild, but Valley doctors, clinics and hospitals are bracing for what could be one of the nastiest flu seasons in years and people are being strongly urged to get the flu vaccine.
The average adult touches 30 objects each minute and the virus can live on door knobs, toys, keyboards, TV remotes, light switches and other hard surfaces for 18 hours. Maricopa Medical Center Dr. Robert Fromm said keep the hand sanitizer close by.
“Keep your hands away from your eyes, nose and mouth as much as possible. That’s how you transmit the particles that you picked up with your hands. It’s not coming in [to your system] through your fingertips.”
One place people should be wary of is the grocery store. In a study, the University of Arizona found shopping carts have more bacteria than public restrooms. Fromm recommended wiping down the cart handles with sanitizer.
Fromm said people with the flu should stay home from work. A lot of people fear calling in sick and others just think they can tough it out, but Fromm said those people are getting others sick. People with the flu have a contagion period between one day before symptoms are shown and up to one week after symptoms arrive.
Fromm said anybody above the age of six months should get a flu shot.
Since Oct. 1, there have been 150 cases of the flu in Arizona, according to the Arizona Department of Health Services. There were only 70 cases in first nine months of the year.
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier