Last year’s flu season was mild, but Valley doctors, clinics and hospitals are bracing for what could be one of the nastiest flu seasons in years and people are being strongly urged to get the flu vaccine.
The average adult touches 30 objects each minute and the virus can live on door knobs, toys, keyboards, TV remotes, light switches and other hard surfaces for 18 hours. Maricopa Medical Center Dr. Robert Fromm said keep the hand sanitizer close by.
“Keep your hands away from your eyes, nose and mouth as much as possible. That’s how you transmit the particles that you picked up with your hands. It’s not coming in [to your system] through your fingertips.”
One place people should be wary of is the grocery store. In a study, the University of Arizona found shopping carts have more bacteria than public restrooms. Fromm recommended wiping down the cart handles with sanitizer.
Fromm said people with the flu should stay home from work. A lot of people fear calling in sick and others just think they can tough it out, but Fromm said those people are getting others sick. People with the flu have a contagion period between one day before symptoms are shown and up to one week after symptoms arrive.
Fromm said anybody above the age of six months should get a flu shot.
Since Oct. 1, there have been 150 cases of the flu in Arizona, according to the Arizona Department of Health Services. There were only 70 cases in first nine months of the year.
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them