GLENDALE, Ariz. — A 15-year-old Glendale girl ran away from home on Tuesday because she feared further sexual abuse by her stepfather, police said.
The girl was located by officers about 8:30 p.m. and told them she left home because her stepfather, Patrick Connaughton, had been sexually abusing her for 10 years.
“When they began interviewing her, it was disclosed that her 12-year-old sister was also a victim of sexual abuse by the same suspect,” said Phoenix Police Sgt. Steve Martos.
Police said both girls are the biological daughters of Mary Connaughton, 33. It is believed that she knew of the abuse and failed to report it.
The couple was arrested Wednesday. Patrick Connaughton, who allegedly admitted to the crimes, was charged on several felony sexual abuse counts. Mary Connaughton was charged with one count of child abuse.
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development