GLENDALE, Ariz. — A 15-year-old Glendale girl ran away from home on Tuesday because she feared further sexual abuse by her stepfather, police said.
The girl was located by officers about 8:30 p.m. and told them she left home because her stepfather, Patrick Connaughton, had been sexually abusing her for 10 years.
“When they began interviewing her, it was disclosed that her 12-year-old sister was also a victim of sexual abuse by the same suspect,” said Phoenix Police Sgt. Steve Martos.
Police said both girls are the biological daughters of Mary Connaughton, 33. It is believed that she knew of the abuse and failed to report it.
The couple was arrested Wednesday. Patrick Connaughton, who allegedly admitted to the crimes, was charged on several felony sexual abuse counts. Mary Connaughton was charged with one count of child abuse.
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night