Foreclosure sales in Arizona accounted for about a third of all home purchases in the state during the third quarter, according to a report released Thursday by RealtyTrac.
“Arizona had the third highest percentage of all sales that were foreclosure sales,” said Daren Blomquist, Vice President of RealtyTrac. “Georgia was at number one, California was at number two.”
Thirty-four percent of all residential sales were from foreclosed properties. Blomquist said it’s taking a long time for the market to absorb all of the homes that went into foreclosure during the housing crisis.
“Especially in Phoenix where we’ve seen the high foreclosure numbers for a long time now, it seems like, ‘Can’t we be done with this already?'”
One bright spot in RealtyTrac’s report is the average price of a foreclosed property in Arizona is up 17 percent year-over-year.
“That number is the highest increase in the average foreclosure price of any state in the nation,” Blomquist said. “So even with these foreclosure sales happening, the market there is absorbing them pretty efficiently and there’s enough demand that the prices are actually going up.”
Nationwide, foreclosure sales increased 21 percent in the third quarter.
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.