PHOENIX — The University of Phoenix is joining forces with community colleges across the country, including Maricopa Community Colleges, in an effort to boost enrollment.
Along with hopes for improved enrollment, the move is expected to put more people into the workforce quicker.
The partnership will funnel community college graduates with associate degrees to the for-profit University of Phoenix for bachelor degree programs.
“Americans want to make sure they can complete associate degrees at a community college and then seamlessly take those credits into a bachelor’s program,” said University of Phoenix spokesman Ryan Rauzon.
The University of Phoenix is the largest private university in North America despite an dropoff from almost a half-million students to about 330,000. Several campuses have been closed. Online competition with other schools is fierce.
Rauzon is aware of the perception that the move will be viewed as a means for the university to generate profit.
“The reality is that if we as higher education institutions don’t come together to produce more graduates we will never get the workforce of what employers are actually needing,” he said.
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns