PHOENIX — The University of Phoenix is joining forces with community colleges across the country, including Maricopa Community Colleges, in an effort to boost enrollment.
Along with hopes for improved enrollment, the move is expected to put more people into the workforce quicker.
The partnership will funnel community college graduates with associate degrees to the for-profit University of Phoenix for bachelor degree programs.
“Americans want to make sure they can complete associate degrees at a community college and then seamlessly take those credits into a bachelor’s program,” said University of Phoenix spokesman Ryan Rauzon.
The University of Phoenix is the largest private university in North America despite an dropoff from almost a half-million students to about 330,000. Several campuses have been closed. Online competition with other schools is fierce.
Rauzon is aware of the perception that the move will be viewed as a means for the university to generate profit.
“The reality is that if we as higher education institutions don’t come together to produce more graduates we will never get the workforce of what employers are actually needing,” he said.
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- 2016 college football rivalry games you simply can't miss
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered