Hundreds of metro Phoenix dentists will be offering their services to low-income patients for free this weekend.
The Central Arizona Dental Society Foundation is hosting its first Arizona Dental Mission of Mercy, from 6 a.m. to 6 p.m. Friday and Saturday at Veterans Memorial Coliseum in Phoenix.
The emphasis will be on relieving pain and infections to those who otherwise can’t get dental care. Glendale dentist Mark Hughes said a lot of low income Arizonans need help.
“The state has taken away the adult emergency dental benefit from a lot of people who were on AHCCCS,” Hughes said. “They don’t have the ability to go to a dentist as much as they could.”
But they’ll have plenty of opportunity to get treated at this event.
“There’s going to be about 300 dentists involved, of all different specialties, and about 1,500 volunteers altogether,” said Hughes.
Hughes suggested getting there early. “We’re opening the doors on basically a first come-first served basis, and we’re hoping to treat about 1,000 people each day.”
That amounts to about $1 million in dental treatments.
Among the procedures The dentists will be doing a lot of things. “We’ll be doing mostly fillings and some extractions,” said Hughes. “If some of the people need root canals and things on front teeth, we can do that.”
The Foundation said in a press release that “Adults and children of all ages who don’t have medically conditions, such as extremely high blood pressure or severe disabilities, are welcome.”
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- 2016 college football rivalry games you simply can't miss
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever