Hundreds of metro Phoenix dentists will be offering their services to low-income patients for free this weekend.
The Central Arizona Dental Society Foundation is hosting its first Arizona Dental Mission of Mercy, from 6 a.m. to 6 p.m. Friday and Saturday at Veterans Memorial Coliseum in Phoenix.
The emphasis will be on relieving pain and infections to those who otherwise can’t get dental care. Glendale dentist Mark Hughes said a lot of low income Arizonans need help.
“The state has taken away the adult emergency dental benefit from a lot of people who were on AHCCCS,” Hughes said. “They don’t have the ability to go to a dentist as much as they could.”
But they’ll have plenty of opportunity to get treated at this event.
“There’s going to be about 300 dentists involved, of all different specialties, and about 1,500 volunteers altogether,” said Hughes.
Hughes suggested getting there early. “We’re opening the doors on basically a first come-first served basis, and we’re hoping to treat about 1,000 people each day.”
That amounts to about $1 million in dental treatments.
Among the procedures The dentists will be doing a lot of things. “We’ll be doing mostly fillings and some extractions,” said Hughes. “If some of the people need root canals and things on front teeth, we can do that.”
The Foundation said in a press release that “Adults and children of all ages who don’t have medically conditions, such as extremely high blood pressure or severe disabilities, are welcome.”
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths