Not getting the right amount of sleep can turn you into a Scrooge this holiday season and lead to a Santa-like waistline.
“We tend to put everyone else before us during the holidays, but give yourself a gift this year and go to sleep when you’re supposed to and take care of your body,” said Lauri Leadley with Valley Sleep Center.
A Mayo Clinic study released last March found that a lack of sleep may lead you to eat more. Researchers found that the sleep-deprived group consumed an extra 549 calories per day, about the same as eating a McDonald’s Big Mac.
“If you’re not getting enough sleep, your body may release more of the hormone that signals hunger and less of the hormone that tells your stomach it’s full,” said Leadley.
A healthy holiday season should include sticking to a set sleeping pattern, exercise, eating several small, healthy meals throughout the day and avoiding caffeinated drinks after 2 p.m.
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier