Not getting the right amount of sleep can turn you into a Scrooge this holiday season and lead to a Santa-like waistline.
“We tend to put everyone else before us during the holidays, but give yourself a gift this year and go to sleep when you’re supposed to and take care of your body,” said Lauri Leadley with Valley Sleep Center.
A Mayo Clinic study released last March found that a lack of sleep may lead you to eat more. Researchers found that the sleep-deprived group consumed an extra 549 calories per day, about the same as eating a McDonald’s Big Mac.
“If you’re not getting enough sleep, your body may release more of the hormone that signals hunger and less of the hormone that tells your stomach it’s full,” said Leadley.
A healthy holiday season should include sticking to a set sleeping pattern, exercise, eating several small, healthy meals throughout the day and avoiding caffeinated drinks after 2 p.m.
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- 2016 college football rivalry games you simply can't miss
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees