Not getting the right amount of sleep can turn you into a Scrooge this holiday season and lead to a Santa-like waistline.
“We tend to put everyone else before us during the holidays, but give yourself a gift this year and go to sleep when you’re supposed to and take care of your body,” said Lauri Leadley with Valley Sleep Center.
A Mayo Clinic study released last March found that a lack of sleep may lead you to eat more. Researchers found that the sleep-deprived group consumed an extra 549 calories per day, about the same as eating a McDonald’s Big Mac.
“If you’re not getting enough sleep, your body may release more of the hormone that signals hunger and less of the hormone that tells your stomach it’s full,” said Leadley.
A healthy holiday season should include sticking to a set sleeping pattern, exercise, eating several small, healthy meals throughout the day and avoiding caffeinated drinks after 2 p.m.
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development