Not getting the right amount of sleep can turn you into a Scrooge this holiday season and lead to a Santa-like waistline.
“We tend to put everyone else before us during the holidays, but give yourself a gift this year and go to sleep when you’re supposed to and take care of your body,” said Lauri Leadley with Valley Sleep Center.
A Mayo Clinic study released last March found that a lack of sleep may lead you to eat more. Researchers found that the sleep-deprived group consumed an extra 549 calories per day, about the same as eating a McDonald’s Big Mac.
“If you’re not getting enough sleep, your body may release more of the hormone that signals hunger and less of the hormone that tells your stomach it’s full,” said Leadley.
A healthy holiday season should include sticking to a set sleeping pattern, exercise, eating several small, healthy meals throughout the day and avoiding caffeinated drinks after 2 p.m.
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night