A new affordable housing project is going up in Mesa.
Michael Trailor with the Arizona Department of Housing said the transformation from an old motel to the La Mesita Apartments is a partnership between a few public and private agencies that are hoping to tackle the problem of homelessness.
“The government just can’t afford to provide all of the funding for the answers in our communities,” he said. “We have to do a much better job of developing private resources and not depending so much on the government.”
Mesa City Manager Chris Brady said the complex’s location near Broadway and Stapley will help encourage future tenants, especially those without a car.
“I think it’s significant that we found an opportunity to invest and leverage the significant investment of light rail in creating that transportation opportunity for those who may not have access to a personal vehicle,” he said.
The building will have 80 apartments, 30 of which will be permanent units for the chronically homeless. On-site health and child care, education and financial help will be made available.
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas