A new affordable housing project is going up in Mesa.
Michael Trailor with the Arizona Department of Housing said the transformation from an old motel to the La Mesita Apartments is a partnership between a few public and private agencies that are hoping to tackle the problem of homelessness.
“The government just can’t afford to provide all of the funding for the answers in our communities,” he said. “We have to do a much better job of developing private resources and not depending so much on the government.”
Mesa City Manager Chris Brady said the complex’s location near Broadway and Stapley will help encourage future tenants, especially those without a car.
“I think it’s significant that we found an opportunity to invest and leverage the significant investment of light rail in creating that transportation opportunity for those who may not have access to a personal vehicle,” he said.
The building will have 80 apartments, 30 of which will be permanent units for the chronically homeless. On-site health and child care, education and financial help will be made available.
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy