PHOENIX — A broad coalition of Valley leaders is leaning on Arizona’s Congressional delegation to push for federal comprehensive immigration reform.
The effort, called the SANE Solution to Federal Immigration, is being supported by chambers of commerce, economic leaders, insurance companies and other groups. County Attorney Bill Montgomery said Arizona has had to deal with illegal immigration for a long time, so much so that the state passed the tough immigration law SB 1070.
“We’re never going to be able to address those issues if we don’t take on the broader issue of immigration at the federal level,” he said.
One of the goals of the coalition is to secure the border, along with accounting for everyone who’s in the country illegally.
Valley attorney Danny Ortega says the effort is more than just a talk and hopefully will be a push for Congress to aid the estimated 11 million people who are living here illegally to come out of the shadows and contribute to the nation’s economy.
“We simply want to give a platform, some basic goals that can be achieved in a federal solution,” he said.
Denise Resnik, co-founder of the Real Arizona Coalition, said Arizona has much to offer in advancing federal immigration reform through the problems experienced by the states, lessons learned from those problems and the compromises that have resulted as solutions.
“We cannot put the controversy over immigration concerns in our state behind us unless we’re part of the national solution,” she said. “In doing so, we hope to begin restoring the diverse and welcoming Arizona we know and love.”
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development