PHOENIX — A broad coalition of Valley leaders is leaning on Arizona’s Congressional delegation to push for federal comprehensive immigration reform.
The effort, called the SANE Solution to Federal Immigration, is being supported by chambers of commerce, economic leaders, insurance companies and other groups. County Attorney Bill Montgomery said Arizona has had to deal with illegal immigration for a long time, so much so that the state passed the tough immigration law SB 1070.
“We’re never going to be able to address those issues if we don’t take on the broader issue of immigration at the federal level,” he said.
One of the goals of the coalition is to secure the border, along with accounting for everyone who’s in the country illegally.
Valley attorney Danny Ortega says the effort is more than just a talk and hopefully will be a push for Congress to aid the estimated 11 million people who are living here illegally to come out of the shadows and contribute to the nation’s economy.
“We simply want to give a platform, some basic goals that can be achieved in a federal solution,” he said.
Denise Resnik, co-founder of the Real Arizona Coalition, said Arizona has much to offer in advancing federal immigration reform through the problems experienced by the states, lessons learned from those problems and the compromises that have resulted as solutions.
“We cannot put the controversy over immigration concerns in our state behind us unless we’re part of the national solution,” she said. “In doing so, we hope to begin restoring the diverse and welcoming Arizona we know and love.”
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- 2016 college football rivalry games you simply can't miss
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever