Arizona Attorney General Tom Horne release the following statement after Richard Dale Stokley was executed Wednesday for the 1991 murders of two girls.
Horne’s statement has not been altered in any way.
“Justice was finally delivered to Richard Dale Stokely today for the horrible crimes he committed against two teenage girls more than 20 years ago.
‘In 1991, Stokely and an accomplice were at a southern Arizona camping event as part of an Independence Day celebration near the town of Elfrida where they met and subsequently sexually assaulted 13 year-old Mandy Meyers and 13 year-old Mary Snyder. Both girls were strangled to death and their bodies dumped in an abandoned mine shaft.
‘Shortly after his arrest, Stokely confessed to his role in the sexual assaults and murders and was convicted and sentenced to be executed by lethal injection. Today that sentence has been carried out, and Stokely was pronounced dead at 11:12 AM.
‘One can only imagine the terrible pain the families of these victims have endured for more than 21 years since these brutal crimes were committed. My hope is now that the sentence has been carried out, they will find some measure of peace.
‘This office will continue to fight to reduce the unconscionable delays that federal courts have caused between verdict and the chance for victims’ families to see justice done.”
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development