Arizona Attorney General Tom Horne release the following statement after Richard Dale Stokley was executed Wednesday for the 1991 murders of two girls.
Horne’s statement has not been altered in any way.
“Justice was finally delivered to Richard Dale Stokely today for the horrible crimes he committed against two teenage girls more than 20 years ago.
‘In 1991, Stokely and an accomplice were at a southern Arizona camping event as part of an Independence Day celebration near the town of Elfrida where they met and subsequently sexually assaulted 13 year-old Mandy Meyers and 13 year-old Mary Snyder. Both girls were strangled to death and their bodies dumped in an abandoned mine shaft.
‘Shortly after his arrest, Stokely confessed to his role in the sexual assaults and murders and was convicted and sentenced to be executed by lethal injection. Today that sentence has been carried out, and Stokely was pronounced dead at 11:12 AM.
‘One can only imagine the terrible pain the families of these victims have endured for more than 21 years since these brutal crimes were committed. My hope is now that the sentence has been carried out, they will find some measure of peace.
‘This office will continue to fight to reduce the unconscionable delays that federal courts have caused between verdict and the chance for victims’ families to see justice done.”
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- 2016 college football rivalry games you simply can't miss
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever