Arizona Attorney General Tom Horne release the following statement after Richard Dale Stokley was executed Wednesday for the 1991 murders of two girls.
Horne’s statement has not been altered in any way.
“Justice was finally delivered to Richard Dale Stokely today for the horrible crimes he committed against two teenage girls more than 20 years ago.
‘In 1991, Stokely and an accomplice were at a southern Arizona camping event as part of an Independence Day celebration near the town of Elfrida where they met and subsequently sexually assaulted 13 year-old Mandy Meyers and 13 year-old Mary Snyder. Both girls were strangled to death and their bodies dumped in an abandoned mine shaft.
‘Shortly after his arrest, Stokely confessed to his role in the sexual assaults and murders and was convicted and sentenced to be executed by lethal injection. Today that sentence has been carried out, and Stokely was pronounced dead at 11:12 AM.
‘One can only imagine the terrible pain the families of these victims have endured for more than 21 years since these brutal crimes were committed. My hope is now that the sentence has been carried out, they will find some measure of peace.
‘This office will continue to fight to reduce the unconscionable delays that federal courts have caused between verdict and the chance for victims’ families to see justice done.”
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night