PHOENIX — A new report from the Arizona Criminal Justice Commission reveals that 1 in every 10 Arizona teenagers has tried synthetic drugs.
Alcohol remains the No. 1 substance used by the largest percentage of Arizona youth 12-17 years old, according to the 2012 Arizona Youth Survey. Slightly more than half of all teens responded they have consumed alcohol in their lifetime.
Ecstasy is on the radar as 6 percent of youth report lifetime use but it is bath salts and spice that are growing concerns.
Valley emergency rooms are dealing with the effects more often.
Dr. Steven Stapczynski with the Maricopa Medical Center Emergency Department said he’s concerned, as should parents, about teens using spice, k2 and other synthetic drugs. No one knows what the long-term damage will be.
“The chemicals vary so you don’t know what you’re getting,” Stapczynski said.
Even though Arizona has banned synthetic drugs, teens are still getting them at some Valley shops and online. It’s not difficult because spice makers change the recipe just enough to get around the ban.
With the Christmas break just ahead, kids will have a lot of free time on their hands and that could mean more ER visits.
“I hope not but with anything if people have time and money they will find something to do,” Stapczynski said.
There’s one bright spot in the report. Prescription pain medication abuse fell from 17.6 percent to 13.8 percent for those reporting lifetime use and down from 8.1 percent to 6.2 percent for usage in the past 30 days.
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy