PHOENIX — A new report from the Arizona Criminal Justice Commission reveals that 1 in every 10 Arizona teenagers has tried synthetic drugs.
Alcohol remains the No. 1 substance used by the largest percentage of Arizona youth 12-17 years old, according to the 2012 Arizona Youth Survey. Slightly more than half of all teens responded they have consumed alcohol in their lifetime.
Ecstasy is on the radar as 6 percent of youth report lifetime use but it is bath salts and spice that are growing concerns.
Valley emergency rooms are dealing with the effects more often.
Dr. Steven Stapczynski with the Maricopa Medical Center Emergency Department said he’s concerned, as should parents, about teens using spice, k2 and other synthetic drugs. No one knows what the long-term damage will be.
“The chemicals vary so you don’t know what you’re getting,” Stapczynski said.
Even though Arizona has banned synthetic drugs, teens are still getting them at some Valley shops and online. It’s not difficult because spice makers change the recipe just enough to get around the ban.
With the Christmas break just ahead, kids will have a lot of free time on their hands and that could mean more ER visits.
“I hope not but with anything if people have time and money they will find something to do,” Stapczynski said.
There’s one bright spot in the report. Prescription pain medication abuse fell from 17.6 percent to 13.8 percent for those reporting lifetime use and down from 8.1 percent to 6.2 percent for usage in the past 30 days.
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.