PHOENIX — Mandy Meyers and Mary Snyder were at a July Fourth campout in Elfrida when they were kidnapped, raped and strangled. Their bodies were then stabbed and dumped into a mine shaft.
Cochise County Chief Deputy Rod Rothrock was the lead investigator in the case against Richard Dale Stokley, who is cheduled to be executed at 10 a.m. Wednesday.
“In my interview with Stokley, he confessed to the murders of the girls,” said Rothrock.
Rothrock said that Stokley was accompanying him to show him where the bodies were. When they arrived, the bodies had already been discovered by other deputies.
Stokley’s attorneys had argued that their client’s rights were violated because an accomplice, Randy Brazeal, reached a plea agreement.
Brazeal originally said that Stokley killed both girls. After the agreement was reached, DNA evidence showed that each man participated in the killings. As part of the agreement, Brazeal served 20 years in prison, then was released.
Rothrock believes Brazeal also deserved the death penalty.
“Both defendants were equally as guilty, and both deserved the same sentence,” he said. “But that was a matter of plea bargains and attorneys, et cetera.”
Rothrock said Brazeal is living in Arkansas.
The mother of one of the victims has asked Rothrock to accompany her to the execution, so he will be a witness when Stokley is put to death.
“I don’t necessarily have any overwhelming desire to see anyone die,” Rothrock said. “But I do believe that Mr. Stokely certainly earned the sentence that he received, and I believe that his execution will bring some closure to the families of the victims.”
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas