Arizona Public Service hit a milestone recently: it has now been a direct participant in the sales of 17 million CFL light bulbs.
APS achieved the mark through its’ residential energy efficient lighting program, which uses promotions at retailers that offers instant discount on CFL bulbs.
“We estimate that a typical CFL will save about $40 in energy costs over the life of that bulb,” said Tom Hines, Energy Efficiency Program Manager for APS. “When you multiply that by about 17 million light bulbs that are out there through our program, it’s a really huge energy savings.”
APS estimated the bulbs are saving about 900 million kilowatts of energy every year, enough to meet the energy needs of 75,000 average households. Hines said, while sales of CFL’s are going well, there’s been some misinformation that conventional light bulbs are becoming a thing of the past.
“There is a new federal lighting standard that requires that light bulbs meet a higher efficiency rating,” he said. “It’s similar to a miles per gallon rating for a car. That does not mean that traditional incandescent bulbs are going away. Manufacturers are working to make the bulbs more efficient.”
Hines said consumers can still get incandescent bulbs in your local home improvement store.
CFL bulbs are filled with toxic mercury. Despite that, Hones said that once a bulb is used up, it’s OK to throw it away.
“They are completely able to be disposed of in regular household waste,” he said. “It is completely OK for customers to dispose of them that way, we just encourage customers to recycle them. We think that’s a better approach.”
Hines said that APS collects the used bulbs for free at local stores, then makes sure the entire bulb gets recycled.
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck