Arizona Public Service hit a milestone recently: it has now been a direct participant in the sales of 17 million CFL light bulbs.
APS achieved the mark through its’ residential energy efficient lighting program, which uses promotions at retailers that offers instant discount on CFL bulbs.
“We estimate that a typical CFL will save about $40 in energy costs over the life of that bulb,” said Tom Hines, Energy Efficiency Program Manager for APS. “When you multiply that by about 17 million light bulbs that are out there through our program, it’s a really huge energy savings.”
APS estimated the bulbs are saving about 900 million kilowatts of energy every year, enough to meet the energy needs of 75,000 average households. Hines said, while sales of CFL’s are going well, there’s been some misinformation that conventional light bulbs are becoming a thing of the past.
“There is a new federal lighting standard that requires that light bulbs meet a higher efficiency rating,” he said. “It’s similar to a miles per gallon rating for a car. That does not mean that traditional incandescent bulbs are going away. Manufacturers are working to make the bulbs more efficient.”
Hines said consumers can still get incandescent bulbs in your local home improvement store.
CFL bulbs are filled with toxic mercury. Despite that, Hones said that once a bulb is used up, it’s OK to throw it away.
“They are completely able to be disposed of in regular household waste,” he said. “It is completely OK for customers to dispose of them that way, we just encourage customers to recycle them. We think that’s a better approach.”
Hines said that APS collects the used bulbs for free at local stores, then makes sure the entire bulb gets recycled.
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development