Arizona Public Service hit a milestone recently: it has now been a direct participant in the sales of 17 million CFL light bulbs.
APS achieved the mark through its’ residential energy efficient lighting program, which uses promotions at retailers that offers instant discount on CFL bulbs.
“We estimate that a typical CFL will save about $40 in energy costs over the life of that bulb,” said Tom Hines, Energy Efficiency Program Manager for APS. “When you multiply that by about 17 million light bulbs that are out there through our program, it’s a really huge energy savings.”
APS estimated the bulbs are saving about 900 million kilowatts of energy every year, enough to meet the energy needs of 75,000 average households. Hines said, while sales of CFL’s are going well, there’s been some misinformation that conventional light bulbs are becoming a thing of the past.
“There is a new federal lighting standard that requires that light bulbs meet a higher efficiency rating,” he said. “It’s similar to a miles per gallon rating for a car. That does not mean that traditional incandescent bulbs are going away. Manufacturers are working to make the bulbs more efficient.”
Hines said consumers can still get incandescent bulbs in your local home improvement store.
CFL bulbs are filled with toxic mercury. Despite that, Hones said that once a bulb is used up, it’s OK to throw it away.
“They are completely able to be disposed of in regular household waste,” he said. “It is completely OK for customers to dispose of them that way, we just encourage customers to recycle them. We think that’s a better approach.”
Hines said that APS collects the used bulbs for free at local stores, then makes sure the entire bulb gets recycled.
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy