Can you extend the life of your Christmas tree by chucking it into the backyard pool for about 24 hours?
Some people said it’s a great idea, but pool experts said it could turn out to be a costly experiment.
“I have heard of a lot of silly things, but I would absolutely not do it,” said Ralph Hartsing with B & L Pool Supplies.
Hartsing said one of the main problems is the phosphates in the tree.
“When it gets in touch with chlorine, it turns the chlorine against itself,” he said. “Instead of killing bacteria and killing algae, no matter how much chlorine you put into the pool, you’ll be giving the algae a food source.”
Another other problem exists if the tree loses needles while dunked under water for any period of time.
“Those needles get in the filter, clogs up the impeller in the motor,” said Hartsing. “You can’t draw water through, it runs dry, burns up and you have to replace the motor.”
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon