Can you extend the life of your Christmas tree by chucking it into the backyard pool for about 24 hours?
Some people said it’s a great idea, but pool experts said it could turn out to be a costly experiment.
“I have heard of a lot of silly things, but I would absolutely not do it,” said Ralph Hartsing with B & L Pool Supplies.
Hartsing said one of the main problems is the phosphates in the tree.
“When it gets in touch with chlorine, it turns the chlorine against itself,” he said. “Instead of killing bacteria and killing algae, no matter how much chlorine you put into the pool, you’ll be giving the algae a food source.”
Another other problem exists if the tree loses needles while dunked under water for any period of time.
“Those needles get in the filter, clogs up the impeller in the motor,” said Hartsing. “You can’t draw water through, it runs dry, burns up and you have to replace the motor.”
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns