Can you extend the life of your Christmas tree by chucking it into the backyard pool for about 24 hours?
Some people said it’s a great idea, but pool experts said it could turn out to be a costly experiment.
“I have heard of a lot of silly things, but I would absolutely not do it,” said Ralph Hartsing with B & L Pool Supplies.
Hartsing said one of the main problems is the phosphates in the tree.
“When it gets in touch with chlorine, it turns the chlorine against itself,” he said. “Instead of killing bacteria and killing algae, no matter how much chlorine you put into the pool, you’ll be giving the algae a food source.”
Another other problem exists if the tree loses needles while dunked under water for any period of time.
“Those needles get in the filter, clogs up the impeller in the motor,” said Hartsing. “You can’t draw water through, it runs dry, burns up and you have to replace the motor.”
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- 2016 college football rivalry games you simply can't miss
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona