PHOENIX — Britain’s Duchess of Cambridge, aka Kate Middleton, remains hospitalized with an acute form of morning sickness.
Valley obstetrician/gynecologist Stephen Frausto said eating a few crackers will help with typical morning sickness, but Kate has a condition called hyperemis gravidarum.
“When we begin to talk about hyperemesis, we’re really sliding up the spectrum in severity,” said Frausto. “We’re talking about women who have severe vomiting that’s not responsive to the usual therapies.”
Frausto, with Tempe St. Luke’s Hospital, said that women who suffer from extreme morning sickness can lose 5 percent of their body weight in about a week.
If left untreated the baby won’t get enough calories and the mother could suffer seizures.
“The usual course of treatment is to start an IV, get hydration first initially to correct some of the electrolyte disturbances, so if they have low potassium or low sodium, we want to correct that pretty quickly in their admission process,” Frausto said.
A typical hospitalization lasts two to three days.
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food