‘Tis the season for holiday parties — and bad breath. Anyone hoping for a kiss under the mistletoe, dentist Harold Katz suggests avoiding certain foods and drinks.
He’s compiled a list of top holiday foods that cause bad breath.
5. Candy canes: The sugar feeds the bacteria that cause bad breath.
4. Cranberry sauce: The canned sauce contains corn syrup and artificial products that feed bacteria.
3. Candied yams: Katz said topping them with marshmallows is a no-no because the marshmallows contain gelatin which has protein that can contribute to bad breath.
2. Mashed potatoes with butter and sour cream: The protein, combined with dairy foods, are full of sulfur compounds which mix with bacteria for bad results.
1. Eggnog: This treat combines the worst foods for breath with sugar, dairy and often alcohol, which dries the mouth.
To avoid bad breath, Katz said drink plenty of water and munch on fruits and veggies.
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development