‘Tis the season for holiday parties — and bad breath. Anyone hoping for a kiss under the mistletoe, dentist Harold Katz suggests avoiding certain foods and drinks.
He’s compiled a list of top holiday foods that cause bad breath.
5. Candy canes: The sugar feeds the bacteria that cause bad breath.
4. Cranberry sauce: The canned sauce contains corn syrup and artificial products that feed bacteria.
3. Candied yams: Katz said topping them with marshmallows is a no-no because the marshmallows contain gelatin which has protein that can contribute to bad breath.
2. Mashed potatoes with butter and sour cream: The protein, combined with dairy foods, are full of sulfur compounds which mix with bacteria for bad results.
1. Eggnog: This treat combines the worst foods for breath with sugar, dairy and often alcohol, which dries the mouth.
To avoid bad breath, Katz said drink plenty of water and munch on fruits and veggies.