‘Tis the season for holiday parties — and bad breath. Anyone hoping for a kiss under the mistletoe, dentist Harold Katz suggests avoiding certain foods and drinks.
He’s compiled a list of top holiday foods that cause bad breath.
5. Candy canes: The sugar feeds the bacteria that cause bad breath.
4. Cranberry sauce: The canned sauce contains corn syrup and artificial products that feed bacteria.
3. Candied yams: Katz said topping them with marshmallows is a no-no because the marshmallows contain gelatin which has protein that can contribute to bad breath.
2. Mashed potatoes with butter and sour cream: The protein, combined with dairy foods, are full of sulfur compounds which mix with bacteria for bad results.
1. Eggnog: This treat combines the worst foods for breath with sugar, dairy and often alcohol, which dries the mouth.
To avoid bad breath, Katz said drink plenty of water and munch on fruits and veggies.
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns