‘Tis the season for holiday parties — and bad breath. Anyone hoping for a kiss under the mistletoe, dentist Harold Katz suggests avoiding certain foods and drinks.
He’s compiled a list of top holiday foods that cause bad breath.
5. Candy canes: The sugar feeds the bacteria that cause bad breath.
4. Cranberry sauce: The canned sauce contains corn syrup and artificial products that feed bacteria.
3. Candied yams: Katz said topping them with marshmallows is a no-no because the marshmallows contain gelatin which has protein that can contribute to bad breath.
2. Mashed potatoes with butter and sour cream: The protein, combined with dairy foods, are full of sulfur compounds which mix with bacteria for bad results.
1. Eggnog: This treat combines the worst foods for breath with sugar, dairy and often alcohol, which dries the mouth.
To avoid bad breath, Katz said drink plenty of water and munch on fruits and veggies.
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night