PHOENIX — In about a month, the Valley will be filled with Ducks, Wildcats, Spartans and Horned Frogs.
Fans who will be flying in for the Tostitos Fiesta Bowl and Buffalo Wild Wings Bowl are expected to generate big tourism dollars.
“In the last five years, that number has been over a billion dollars,” said Robert Shelton, executive director of the Fiesta Bowl. “Each year you’re talking hundreds of thousands of dollars coming into the Valley of the Sun.”
Resorts, hotels and restaurants receive a big chunk of that money but Shelton said it’s the mom-and-pop shops that benefit, too.
“People come out here and they spend a number of days. They don’t just fly in and fly out,” Shelton said “It’s a game where people come and spend four, five, six days a week or more.”
Fourth-ranked Oregon will face No. 5 Kansas State at the University of Phoenix Stadium in Glendale on Jan. 3.
On Dec. 29, Tempe will host the newly sponsored Buffalo Wild Wings Bowl at Sun Devil Stadium in Tempe between Michigan State and Texas Christian.
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development