PHOENIX — Arizona is facing the possibility of a third consecutive dry winter — that’s not good news for the state’s water supply.
Mark Hubble with SRP said the reservoirs that supply the Valley with water are below 50 percent of capacity. The snowpack in Colorado, Utah and Wyoming is half of what it should be. That snowpack runoff feeds the Colorado River, which Arizona taps into via the Central Arizona Project canal.
“[That is] A concern for us because the Colorado Basin really supplies the entire southwest. Phoenix is fortunate that we have our own watershed.” But the runoff is still needed.
Another dry winter could tax the water supply starting late next summer but it’s too soon to start discussing cutbacks and possible rationings.
“If we have another dry winter again I think you’ll start hearing some rumblings about the surface water supply,” Hubble said.
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy