PHOENIX — Arizona is facing the possibility of a third consecutive dry winter — that’s not good news for the state’s water supply.
Mark Hubble with SRP said the reservoirs that supply the Valley with water are below 50 percent of capacity. The snowpack in Colorado, Utah and Wyoming is half of what it should be. That snowpack runoff feeds the Colorado River, which Arizona taps into via the Central Arizona Project canal.
“[That is] A concern for us because the Colorado Basin really supplies the entire southwest. Phoenix is fortunate that we have our own watershed.” But the runoff is still needed.
Another dry winter could tax the water supply starting late next summer but it’s too soon to start discussing cutbacks and possible rationings.
“If we have another dry winter again I think you’ll start hearing some rumblings about the surface water supply,” Hubble said.
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development