PHOENIX — Arizona is facing the possibility of a third consecutive dry winter — that’s not good news for the state’s water supply.
Mark Hubble with SRP said the reservoirs that supply the Valley with water are below 50 percent of capacity. The snowpack in Colorado, Utah and Wyoming is half of what it should be. That snowpack runoff feeds the Colorado River, which Arizona taps into via the Central Arizona Project canal.
“[That is] A concern for us because the Colorado Basin really supplies the entire southwest. Phoenix is fortunate that we have our own watershed.” But the runoff is still needed.
Another dry winter could tax the water supply starting late next summer but it’s too soon to start discussing cutbacks and possible rationings.
“If we have another dry winter again I think you’ll start hearing some rumblings about the surface water supply,” Hubble said.
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier