Mild temperatures will be sticking around at least for several more days, according to the National Weather Service.
“The flow aloft that steers the air is coming from the west. There’s really not much a component from the north at all,” said meteorologist Doug Green. “We’re seeing air mass from the Pacific, it’s fairly mild moving across much of the country as we speak.”
The boundary between the colder air and warmer air is to our north, across northern California and southern Oregon and that area is the region being hit with wet, winter-like storms.
Green said it’s hard to pinpoint the exact cause of the current weather trends. Higher than average temperatures are not unheard of this time of year.
“We’re in a mild, zonal kind of pattern that can change to a more north-south or south-to-north flow, but that’s not in the works here in the next week,” he said.
Valley residents should expect the current temperatures, which are running ten to fifteen degrees above normal, to stick around in to the following weekend.
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- 2016 college football rivalry games you simply can't miss
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof