When people donate money to charity, they often assume it will go to the right place.
But who ensures that the money arrives there? Paperwork needs to be exchanged, conversations must be had and, most importantly, funds need to reach their proper destination. That’s where the Arizona Community Foundation comes in.
“Think about us as Arizona’s chest,” President and CEO of the Arizona Community Foundation Steve Selezmow told News/Talk 92.3 KTAR’s Karie & Chuck. “What we are is a vehicle for people to engage in giving and philanthropy and make it very easy for Arizonans to create charitable funds.”
Selezmow said his organization specifically focuses on education, health care, community, arts and culture and the environment. Donors choose from one of the five categories, but there is no limit to their specificity.
“[A] donor cared about non-smoking female ornithologist,” he said. “That’s a very narrow area of giving, right?”
The foundation has been able to find a recipient for that specific donation every year.
Selezmow’s foundation does not run on donations, but works with families and companies to manage $500 million in philanthropic assets through a network of volunteers. There are branches of the foundation in most Arizona cities.
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy