Many Americans often pay tribute to veterans on holidays, but what happens when the fanfare fades and it’s time to go home?
For most Americans, that means a bed. But for the veterans they were honoring, that can mean a stoop, an alley or a shelter.
“On average, there’s about 2,000 veterans experiencing homelessness in Arizona,” said Joan Serviss with the Arizona Coalition to End Homelessness, adding that 60 percent of those are in Maricopa County.
Serviss said the homeless veterans include both those from the recent conflicts in Iraq and Afghanistan and earlier wars.
“A lot of the veterans experienced Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder or they experience a traumatic brain injury,” she said.
Serviss said the combination of possible injury, psychological damage suffered in combat and possible substance abuse create a vicious cycle for veterans, one that is difficult to extricate themselves from.
“There’s just a deterioration of their environment and then they end up becoming chronically homeless veterans living on the streets,” said Serviss, adding that it’s difficult to discern a homeless person from a homeless veteran.
According to Serviss, the number of homeless veterans have increased since the downturn of the economy.
To donate to the Arizona Coalition to End Homelessness, go to azceh.org.
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development