Many Americans often pay tribute to veterans on holidays, but what happens when the fanfare fades and it’s time to go home?
For most Americans, that means a bed. But for the veterans they were honoring, that can mean a stoop, an alley or a shelter.
“On average, there’s about 2,000 veterans experiencing homelessness in Arizona,” said Joan Serviss with the Arizona Coalition to End Homelessness, adding that 60 percent of those are in Maricopa County.
Serviss said the homeless veterans include both those from the recent conflicts in Iraq and Afghanistan and earlier wars.
“A lot of the veterans experienced Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder or they experience a traumatic brain injury,” she said.
Serviss said the combination of possible injury, psychological damage suffered in combat and possible substance abuse create a vicious cycle for veterans, one that is difficult to extricate themselves from.
“There’s just a deterioration of their environment and then they end up becoming chronically homeless veterans living on the streets,” said Serviss, adding that it’s difficult to discern a homeless person from a homeless veteran.
According to Serviss, the number of homeless veterans have increased since the downturn of the economy.
To donate to the Arizona Coalition to End Homelessness, go to azceh.org.
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- 2016 college football rivalry games you simply can't miss
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona