For patients with Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis, commonly called ALS or Lou Gehrig’s Disease, the cost of necessary equipment can be exorbitant.
Enter the ALS Association of Arizona and the medical equipment loan closet.
“Inside that closet, we have power wheelchairs, ramps, bidets, handrails, bed rails. Everything needed as the patient progresses with the disease,” said Taryn Norely of the ALS Association of Arizona.
Norely estimated that her organization has about $70,000 worth of equipment in some patients’ homes.
ALS works slowly, affecting patients’ bodies, often leaving them paralyzed but their brain fully intact. Norely said her organization seeks to keep patients at home as long as possible.
“We have care services — a director and coordinator — and they will actually come out to your house, visit with you and assess the house,” she said. “They look at what you may need to help you get around your home. We really want to keep people independent so that they can stay at their homes and with their loved ones.”
Some ALS patients’ needs are not covered by Medicare or insurance.
To donate to the ALS Association of Arizona, go to azals.org.
- 2016 college football rivalry games you simply can't miss
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- ‘Supernatural’ TV show convention comes to Arizona
- Jan Brewer thinks Paul Penzone will have tough time beating Sheriff Joe Arpaio
- Mac & Gaydos joined by Burmese python after losing March Madness bet
- Mac and Gaydos deliver pizzas to winning class in REDucation contest
- Civil rights activist wants Phoenix-area NAACP boss to step down after incident