While some would associate a homeless shelter with housing panhandlers, that is not the case at one Valley shelter.
“We see a diversity of people,” said Irene Agustin with the Central Arizona Shelter Service. “Most people are aware of the homeless on the street, in terms of people asking for money, begging for things, but that’s less than 20 percent of the population. The people that we see have become homeless because of the economy.”
Agustin said 80 percent of the people in the shelter likely lost their home, job or both and are trying to get back on their feet and came to the shelter looking for help.
“It’s really on them. We just help direct them in the right way, but they’re the ones going in for their job interviews and going to their appointments,” she said.
Agustin said the average length of stay in their adult shelter is 42 days, but they allow a maximum of 180 days. The average family stays for 52 days, but are allowed to stay for 90.
“Some people are really motivated,” she said. “They only need a week’s stay and get out there and we never hear from them again because they don’t need the shelter anymore.”
Agustin said the shelter’s goal is to get people out as quickly as possible so a complicated situation doesn’t have time to get worse.
To donate to Central Arizona Shelter Service, go to cassaz.org.
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier