While some would associate a homeless shelter with housing panhandlers, that is not the case at one Valley shelter.
“We see a diversity of people,” said Irene Agustin with the Central Arizona Shelter Service. “Most people are aware of the homeless on the street, in terms of people asking for money, begging for things, but that’s less than 20 percent of the population. The people that we see have become homeless because of the economy.”
Agustin said 80 percent of the people in the shelter likely lost their home, job or both and are trying to get back on their feet and came to the shelter looking for help.
“It’s really on them. We just help direct them in the right way, but they’re the ones going in for their job interviews and going to their appointments,” she said.
Agustin said the average length of stay in their adult shelter is 42 days, but they allow a maximum of 180 days. The average family stays for 52 days, but are allowed to stay for 90.
“Some people are really motivated,” she said. “They only need a week’s stay and get out there and we never hear from them again because they don’t need the shelter anymore.”
Agustin said the shelter’s goal is to get people out as quickly as possible so a complicated situation doesn’t have time to get worse.
To donate to Central Arizona Shelter Service, go to cassaz.org.
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets