PHOENIX — A University of Michigan study said many teens are picking up their parents’ driving behaviors, for better or for worse.
The study of almost 6,000 teen drivers found those who think mom and dad are distracted drivers are more likely to do the same behind the wheel: eating while driving, texting behind the wheel, etc.
“If you’re telling the kids to not text and drive yet doing it yourself, you’re setting a horrific example for teen drivers,” said Stephanie Dembowski with AAA Arizona.
According to the study, 26 percent of teens read or send a text message at least once every time they drive; one in five teens admitted to having extended, multiple-message text conversations while driving.
Triple A has made several pushes for state lawmakers to green light a statewide ban.
“We’re well aware that a state law against texting while driving would not prevent all crashes,” said Dembowski. “It would certainly be a first step. We will continue to push for measures to keep drivers safe.”
Arizona doesn’t have a statewide law that bans texting while driving. Phoenix and Tucson are the only cities that have banned it.
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon