Yuma has the highest jobless rate in the nation, but that is not affecting the rest of Arizona.
The Labor Department said Yuma’s unemployment rate in October was almost 30 percent.
Valley economist Elliott Pollack said Yuma’s joblessness is mostly due to agriculture. Even when the rest of the state’s economy was booming in 2006, Yuma unemployment stayed around 14 percent, but there was effect on the state then, nor is there now.
The Valley’s jobless rate is hovering around 7 percent. Arizona unemployment continues to be about 8 percent. The state’s jobless rate hasn’t dropped below 8 percent since December 2008.
Arizona lost hundreds of thousands of jobs in the recession and Pollack said we should be back up to pre-recession employment numbers by 2015.
“Three years ago we were 49th in the nation in job growth. Today we’re number 6.”
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night