Yuma has the highest jobless rate in the nation, but that is not affecting the rest of Arizona.
The Labor Department said Yuma’s unemployment rate in October was almost 30 percent.
Valley economist Elliott Pollack said Yuma’s joblessness is mostly due to agriculture. Even when the rest of the state’s economy was booming in 2006, Yuma unemployment stayed around 14 percent, but there was effect on the state then, nor is there now.
The Valley’s jobless rate is hovering around 7 percent. Arizona unemployment continues to be about 8 percent. The state’s jobless rate hasn’t dropped below 8 percent since December 2008.
Arizona lost hundreds of thousands of jobs in the recession and Pollack said we should be back up to pre-recession employment numbers by 2015.
“Three years ago we were 49th in the nation in job growth. Today we’re number 6.”
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas